I made this quilt for a private swap with squire_inaria and thought I'd share a little bit of the process...
I started off with a batik tree sandwiched between two pieces of wash away stabilizer. I thread painted the batik so that it has plenty of texture to give it bark, using plain black and brown threads and following that up with a King Tut variegated thread. I then cut away the extra stabilizer and hand washed the tree to get rid of the rest of the stabilizer in the tree.
After marking the placement of the moon and tree, I started quilting the background. VanGogh's Starry, Starry Night provided inspiration for the swirling sky quilting.
I then thread painted/scribbled the elements to the quilted background and batting. Here you can see the quilting and where the elements were applied.
I attached a fringe on the bottom to give a 3D grass effect in the foreground, bound it and sent it off to it's new home.
I took a picture of it with the inspiration postcard before sending off:
C&C always welcomed