Living in New Jersey, I have the good fortune of access to lots of wonderful things: the Midtown Direct train to the city (New York city, that is), 24-hour diners, five malls within half an hour's driving distance, five pizza places within walking distance, and gas station attendants (nyeh nyeh, I'll never pump my own gas!). Of course, band geek that I am, last summer I begged for ticket money not for a concert festival or the state fair at Giants Stadium, but a drum corps show. Long story short, I came, I saw, I fell in love with Carolina Crown's mind-blowing brassline. In true fifteen-year-old fangirl fashion, I immediately bought myself a shirt to express my adoration. A few months later, a serious problem arose:
HOLES. Holes in my most beloved geek shirt! I let it go for a few months, plotting all the while, but yesterday was my first day of summer vacation, and we all know what that means. It was high time to take this:
To something suitably summery and celebratory, in the form of this:
I'm so proud of my hours of hand-sewing. To be sure, those two hours of Scrubs episodes helped...
Proof of painstakingly done-by-hand stitches along the top hem:
Close-up of the logo and new seam (I really, truly apologize for the chest shot):
And the straps are my favorite part! I originally cut off the holey part in a strip around the entire shirt, cut off the holes, cut the strip in half, and cut each half into thirds lengthwise to braid them, but it looked messy so I took the easy way out, which I liked better anyway
And this is really a poor excuse for an action shot, but at least it wasn't taken in my bathroom!
I'm tempted to enumerate all the failings of this first-ever successfully wearable project...I think I'll indulge in a single, comma-filled run-on sentence: I started out with white thread until I realized it was horribly visible when I turned the seams inside out so I started ripping the matching thread out of the original sleeve, collar, and bottom hems, which worked but took FOREVER, added a side panel to the top to accomodate for modesty, but had to sew up the other side because it came out too loose (which it still is, even, but I'm much too lazy now to fix it right away), and I didn't show the back because my good camera's screen is broken and my old camera was running out of battery plus the hem is embarrassingly bunchy, and the straps are too long and once again I'm too lazy to adjust just yet.
Phew. That's all.