For my boyfriend's Christmas present I decided to take on Sackboy from the PS3 game, Little Big Plant. I think I did a pretty good job! I was surprised! My boyfriend really love it. I'd be pretty upset if he didn't! The whole little guy took about two stressful weeks! I couldn't find a pattern that I really liked so I decided to figure it out myself. It involved a LOT of trial and error.
I don't know if anyone will want a tutorial but honestly I'm not very sure about how I made him. I completely winged it. I believe that the actual character is supposed to be knitted but I'm not very good at knitting. Instead I crocheted him!
I used a I/9-5.50MM hook and sport weight yarn.
I just used single crochets and decreases/increases. I made each piece a few times before I came up with something I was happy with. He is made up of 21
pieces (head, flat circle for the top of his head
, body, two arms, two hands, two legs, two feet, and ten fingers) all sewn together with either yarn or two strands of brown thread. I bought the yarn and button eyes at Wal-Mart for a total of about 3 dollars. His tongue is a piece of felt and the fabric in his mouth is like a canvas material.
----Mouth (The most time consuming part for me!)
In order to have the mouth fit, you obviously need to skip a bunch of stitches in the crochet work to leave room to sew in the mouth piece. You need to make sure you have a place to put it!
Anywho, I broke a CD in half and then laid it on a piece of the black canvas. I made sure that there was at least half an inch of fabric showing around the CD. This fabric was used to sew the mouth piece to the head. The CD pieces were placed so that the broken sides are almost touching, so it almost looked like the CD was whole. I left a little less than 1/16in in between the pieces going all the way across. I then taped both pieces to the canvas so they wouldn't move. After that I laid another piece of fabric (the same size) on top of the CD pieces. I then sewed around the inside of the little circle. Once that was done I outlined the round edges of the CD so that I could easily see where the CD was. That made it much easier when I stitched all around the CD. I removed the tape as I got to it during the sewing.
Once the stitching was done, you could see the outline of the CD and the hole in the middle. I then stitched across the CD through the space I had left between the pieces. Because the CD was sewn in between the fabric while laying flat, there is some resistance when it's folded in half. That's what keeps the mouth open. I then sewed the mouth to the inside of the head.
**I guess it would be the time to say that I crocheted the head from the bottom of the neck up. I inserted the mouth piece once I crocheted a few rows above the mouth space.
The crocheted head keeps the mouth from opening too far.
Since his head is much bigger than his body I have a canvas tube of stuffing sewn to the bottom of his body going up through his neck and attached to the back of his mouth. That way his head stays up. Without it he looked really, really creepy. His head slumped over to one side and looked like it was going to fall off.
----Hands and fingers
The hands and the fingers are crocheted in amigurumi fashion just like the rest of him. It's a completely closed shape. The two ends are the back and palms of his hands. The hands were started from 5 stitches and then increased to the size I thought was proportionate. I then sc around for 3 rows and then decreased to close.
The fingers were all crocheted separately and then sewn on with thread. I believe that they are all 6 stitches around and about 4 or 5 rows long. I left the ends open.
The white stitching around his body is purely decorative.
The zipper was cut out of felt and sewed onto his body with regular thread. The zipper pull is made out of polymer clay and painted with acrylic paint. It is attached to the body with thread.
If you have any questions or comments just let me know!