I happily started making improvisational blocks for a table runner for my friend's new custom-made modern table. I quickly realized that making the blocks was the easy part; I found it a little tricky to keep something that long and skinny straight and true. After experimenting with different "fillers," all of which looked too puffy and ruined the drape, I decided to back the pieced top with another piece of solid white cotton.
I quilted it lightly "in the ditch" to keep it pretty clean and did a simple turned-under hem around.
Although it looks a little askew in this picture, it actually is quite even:
Here it is after basting: