For Halloween I wanted to be the mascot for our store- a monkey. We have Monkey Loco candy, Monkey Juice, and Slush Monkeys (slushies). I chose the Slush Monkey. I had no idea where to even begin for the head pieceand there are NO tutorials, patterns or how tos for a monkey costume. I posted a question on the Halloween board and thanks to the great responders I got it all figured out. Everything but the tshirt, tights and hat was made by me.
For the straw I painted a rectangle of fabric with red and white diagonal strips. Then I glued the fabric to a paper towel tube, tucking in the extra in the top and bottom of the tube. After stuffing the bottom with a few cotton balls I sewed it to a white hat. I would have hot glued it but I wanted to reuse the hat.
Next up were the ears. I just cut out the ear shape on 4 layers of fabric. The hard part was gathering them so that they looked like monkey ears and not mouse ears.
For the tutu I bought 4 yards of light blue tulle and cut it in half widthwise and then cut those two pieces in half- giving me 4 4yard strips of tulle. I sewed each strip into a circle and then used blue ribbon to create a binding along the bottom. After I finished sewing the ribbon to each layer I stacked the layers and gathered them into a blue satin waistband. I was hoping for more of a petticoat effect but this worked out OK. I decided that I needed to break up the blue a little bit so I made another tutu out of white tulle and red ribbon to wear under the blue.
I used the Collette bloomer pattern that has been popping up around here lately to make a pair of white bloomers for under the tutu. For the tights I had planned on candy-cane striping them just like my straw but we just couldn't make it work. Instead my mom and I put rubber bands around them as it we were going to tie-dye them but used red spray paint instead. They came out perfectly!
For the shirt I used printable iron on transfer sheets and printed up the Slush Monkey logo. Super easy and cheap.
My tail looks a little funny in the picture but it did turn out kinda cute. I actually almost forgot to make one. The shoes were also very simple- although very uncomfortable. I found plain flats at a resale shop, painted them navy blue with acrylic paint, and then used red glitter glue on the toes. They didn't last long and go figure I didn't think to take any pictures before I wore them. Duh.
Well, I know it was simple but I hope you liked my costume!