I just got a lovely angel package from Jemimah! Here's the loot:
Everything: a pretty little blue silk bag with flying bird silhouettes, 4 cards with stitched watercolors, a pair of hand-carved leaf stamps, a trio of knit leaf bowls, a little squeezy pouch which came stuffed with interesting buttons & a buckle, a little embroidered bee, a ceramic teabag holder, and (the main attraction ) a really elegant embroidered cuff.
And a few close-ups:
of the cuff...
...pouch, leaf bowls, and buttons...
...and the bag.
Thanks so much, Jemimah! These are all really beautiful work.
Ooh, I like the diagonal between the textures on those fingerless gloves-- pretty!
I've been asked to post pictures of what I sent, so here it is:
An embroidered stomacher panel (for that bit in the front of early 19th century dresses), a hand-made book (pages cut from various kinds of paper & bound with coptic stitch, covers made with wallpaper samples), and a doll-sized cameo choker. Oh, and some ribbon extras, and while they're not in the picture, I filled the rest of the box with various sorts of tea.
Close-up of the embroidery. I left the edges unfinished so Ninja_poo could fit them to the dress she ends up making (and maybe bind it with co-ordinating ribbon or whatever), but now I'm sorry I didn't iron it before folding it back up to put in the box. Oh well.
I made this one for the Terri Windling benefit auction a few months back (and was pleased to see it fetch a decent donation, too!)
Auction description: Necklace strung with many and varied beads and snake vertebrae in fall or perhaps desert sunset colors (depending on how you choose to see these things.) Approximately 21" with off-center hand-made copper clasp, plus pendant bottle. The beads include several stones (amber, tiger eye, and something red that looks a bit like pressed rose petals), glass, metal, and wood. The pendant includes a slice of antler as a stop, and a corked bottle for you to fill with your own wishes or dreams.
This one's for me! Made to take to the awesome Viable Paradise writing workshop last October.
Stats: *wool & linen scrap patchwork with fancy machine zig-zag stitch *antler button & handmade lucet cord clasp *cardboard interior for covers *handbound with coptic stitch, waxed linen thread *papers detailed with photos below
Dedication: A Journal of Writing created for the Viable Paradise Workshop and thereafter in this year MMXI anno Domini by the common reckoning created for [[me]] by her hand, this seventh day of October known also in [[our house]] as the day that the giant cement truck did its best to murder our mighty oak, may it live to shelter many sedges hereafter, and also birds and squirrels.
packing paper from when my parents moved from Hawai'i to Long Island, old archaeological drawings from a fabled project before-my-time
nautical charts retired from the submarine my father was on when I was born
evil contour drawing from middle school art class, historical map of the Ft Meyer area
instructional poster from my brother's late 80s laser tag set
English/Metric cocktail construction chart, just in case
I've been meaning to make something like this for a while now; I keep seeing little vases with swirly copper wire meant to hang in the windows, and thinking that a) I can do that myself, and b) clear glass vases aren't going to stay clear very long if you hang them in the window...
So here's my version. They're made with scraps of electrical wire and some old bottles I had in a box somewhere, filled with light weight gravel, and planted with a couple bits of english ivy that I pulled out of my lawn.
This is what happens when you organize your craft room and find out that you're hoarded four boxes of random bits of white lace, much of it vintage, stained, and/or in fairly small lengths. I'm now down to about 3-1/2 boxes...
I started out with a Butterick pattern (B5538), cut all the pieces out of muslin in the next size up from mine, and then collaged lace bits and sewed them down one piece at a time. This part took about two months, since I'd do one piece and then have to put it down and come back later to give my brain time to recover. Then all the assembly happened in a day, except for looking through the button jar for odd buttons in the right color scheme.
The only modifications to the pattern were the ribbon loops sewn into the side back seams for the lacing, and the fact that I cut the side front panels extra long and then pleated them up again. I also left off the cuff buttons from the original pattern because I haven't seemed to need them.