Birthday prezzie for my sister... hopefully, I'll get either a regular wallet or a magic wallet done in the next day or two to add in with it DONE!!! Seeing other people's snazzy projects, I'm kind of questioning my decision to do it in basic silver, but I still like the look... :-)))
The purse is divided inside and has a slide-in 100% duct tape closure. Thinking of adding a velcro dot at the end just for reinforcement...
NOTE: I completed this during a single kids' naptime... so if it looks kind of crappo, be aware that I am home with a baby & a toddler and often two big kids also!
PLEASE lmk if you can't see the pictures as Google is being flaky!
(pictures are acting flaky; PLEASE lmk if they don't come out...)
The elephant is for my sister, who's just turned 30. The whale (a baby beluga, because we are all loving the Raffi song around here right now) is for my daughter, who'll be 3 on Monday.
All socks are from the dollar store, bringing the total cost of both projects to about $5... maybe a bit more including stuffing. :-)))
The elephant (full album here) was SOoooo hard. Lessons learned: legs should be shorter than for a monkey; trunk must descend more "downward" from the face, not stick out forwards. Still, from some angles, I'm pretty pleased with her... (my sister's name is Sara - that's what the S on her cape stands for).
And then, to make up for the difficulty of elephant, the whale was super-easy. I mean, it's a short white sock from the dollar store... it looks like a baby beluga anyway. Full album of pics here, but here are 2 angles:
I'm pretty new to stuffed critters, so again, thrilled that I could undertake not one but TWO projects successfully!!! :-)))
I have tried before and met with disappointment before and now.
I don't want a 2-d octopus. I want a 3-d octopus that sits on a flat base, like the Discovery Toys one someone gave us for dd2. (ok, that one has a mirror base, and I don't want to try anything quite so fancy...)
The problem is that the legs don't fit inside the head so I can't figure out how to stitch all the legs in place while the critter is inside-out! Does that make any sense?
So far, my steps are: 1. make & stuff the legs 2. preparing the head (ie sew on ears if using) 3. try with great difficulty to neatly sew legs to body 4. try - but impossible - to sew "base" to legs/body in a base-legs-body sandwich where base and body are right sides together... but I cannot imagine a universe where this is possible - eek!
This tutorial is a little close... but I really want swingy, independent legs so it'll be totally fun to play with.
So I'll just sit here and embroider the face on "Yuckky" my current octopus-attempt (successor to "Lumpy" my previous octopus-attempt) until someone cleverer comes along to rescue me...
This is a $1.99 Value Village sweatshirt and a $1.99 piece of fabric (yeah, everything I buy at VV is $1.99!). There was enough fabric to serge a skirt onto the sweatshirt PLUS make a pair of bloomers and a really yucky-looking hat! LOL
I realized too late that there was a facing needed for the brim, and the only "fabric" I had here late at night was an old, dingy-white pillowcase. Bad choice of facing... ugh.
Here she is bravely wearing the combo, and even showing off the "fancy pants"! (they looked humungous before I put in the elastic...)
Still the world's worst seamstress, but sometimes I feel like I'm getting into a groove with this stuff. It's HARD, though. Does not come naturally at all.
This was a $1.99 Value Village pillowcase... now it's an actual DRESS! I used a pattern and even then it didn't work out well around the shoulder straps... it's Size 3, she wears Size 3, but they still barely meet at her shoulder, so the snaps look a bit precarious, teetering on the tips of the straps.
Still, this print - what an awesome avocado shade of green! - is so eye-grabbing, I doubt anyone will notice. There's a dessert-plate-size circle pocket on the front using a bit more of the lace pillowcase edge detail. There wasn't enough lace to go all the way around the dress, so I just hemmed the back.
I mean my first purse EVER... I have always carried a knapsack, never owned a purse. And now I have one, inspired by Kategirl's zippered-divider messenger bag (ok, too chicken to try the zipper just yet) and Nefertari's boxy purse.
Anyway, the outer is a $1.50 WalMart remnant that I was dubious about, but the 3-d purse shape really seems to bring out its earthtones... ; both were very flimsy but behaved wonderfully when interfaced. VERY simple Velcro closure - looks a little obvious with the grey zigzagging... if I get very into purse-making, I'll get some magnet snaps.
What an easy first bag project... thanks, ladies, for the inspiration!
I think I can even post pics now! Outer:
Stuffed (borrowed dh's Crocodile Hunter bio, plus a mama-made cloth diaper, wetbag, Nalgene... what a perfect size this bag is!):
Meeee! (pretend it's artistic effect and not just a lousy photographer!)
So, so proud of myself... even if it's lousy compared to some others' first attempts! This is ME, the world's worst sewer!