I originally started off getting this fabric hoping to turn it into a circle skirt dress... obviously I had no idea how circle skirts were made, but quickly found out that I couldn't use it for that. So I opted for making a gathered skirt, No pattern, I've just whacked it together, is really easy once you figure out what you're doing.
Excuse my floor and wall, I live in an old house and the shower was never lined back in the day, so now we have to renovate a little.
I think I was a little too eager on the gathering, I just took my waist measurement and tripled it. probably would do it with a little less next time.
This is the back. I originally left enough to flap over and do a button hole..... I don't know how but the skirt ate the remaining fabric so i had to improvise. I had nothing on hand so i found my container of new hair elastics and sew them into the seam. BAM! button holders.
My partner was less than amused and me singing "look at my hem, my hem is amazing' in the tune of look at my horse. I get really excited over such small things
The skirt is made out of a cotton voile and I've just lined it with a poplin cotton.
Next we have a newlook pattern >_>
I'm not a fan... I had issues with the instructions saying to do multiple things to one specific side, the 'unnotched side' but half of it needed to be done to the notched side. so it caused hours of confusion and wondering where I'd stuffed up.
I had to pull the damn thing apart four times to fix it. I'm a size 16 (au) and I've always had large hips but smaller breasts, so the hips and waist fit perfectly, the top however didn't
I've piped the waist and the top of the dress. Unfortunately I had to dart the front twice to get it to fit. This was after taking four inches out of the top. It was a tricky fit, the rest of the dress fit perfect and the side seams were where they should be, it was just the bust the was gigantic. the third time I'd pulled it apart I removed the band that was in the pattern, it just looked bulky and was there to hold the elastic in place, but any good fitting strapless shouldn't need elastic to stay up, so i threw it to the side and walked off before i attacked the dress with scissors.
The bodice is lined and all the seams, apart from the waist, are hong kong seamed. I originally had it done on the first two attempts but it seemed bulky so i just finished it off on the machine instead.
And naturally, it got to the point where I was careless enough that trying to remove the zip the seam ripper thought it would be easy to cut the fabric than the cotton. So i had a minor hole to fix up along the way. Over all a simple dress but it ended up taking about 30 hours.