I found a skirt over a year ago that I knew my friend would love. The only problem is that it was a few inches too small in the waist.
I decided to add two panels (one on each side), to the skirt to add more inches.
Instead of just adding panels, I wanted to put separating zippers on the panels and skirt - to make the panels reversible. Also, I was going to sew additional panels with different fabrics so she could interchange them.
Well, it took me over a year of searching in THREE different States and even Online! I wasn't able to find the right length (7 - 9 inches long), with the right color and style of zippers.
The best luck I had was at one store that sold zippers for doll clothes like jackets, which is what I needed... but they only had two zippers and I needed a minimum of four.
Finally, after a year, I figured that I would just sew the panels on and not worry about finding zippers any more.
The list of things I altered:
Shortened the skirt by many inches,
Added panels, one on each side to add inches to the waistline,
Sewed one tulle star onto each panel,
The pockets on the skirt were fake- I cut and sewed real pockets onto it by adding fabric on the inside, sewed around the pocket holes to keep it from fraying, and changed the buttons.
I will also add a new photo of it being worn, later, after I get my scanner hooked up.The 'before' photo:http://home.comcast.net/~rattfinkpink/sew/stacyskirt01.jpgFinished product:http://home.comcast.net/~rattfinkpink/sew/starskirt3.jpgPockets are now real:http://home.comcast.net/~rattfinkpink/sew/starskirt2.jpgDetail of sides