sooo im finally done my dress!! i drafted the [very vague] pile of flesh myself at work on a slow day, and finally after a couple weeks of forgetting about it and too many stuck pins in my fingers, here is le finished product - and i am so proud of it!! i might even start wearing dresses now
sorry for being in your face, just the best way to show the detail. in this picture it's pinned to hold it up, i went back and sewed over the top line of sewing under the piping to reinforce the chest.
stitching on the bust
even stitches! and also showing off the contrast fabric.
my very first zipper!!!
i gathered this layer [90-some inches, maybe even 100] of fabric under the skirt [38"].. best way to gather? IN PARTS. try it, it's so much easier!
: ) please guys, criticism much appreciated! hope you enjoy
so i've been doing tops for a while and quilting in the ditch/straight stitching or just tying, and i'm trying my hand at free motion since i think that's a lot more fun. my stitches aren't so great, but that's not what i'm worried about... when i flipped over the practice bit, the back stitches were all wonky. i think it means tension is off? but i'm not sure what to do. i was free motioning with my presser foot up and the feed dogs down [as i couldn't get it to move with it down].. should i be using a different foot or what? what am i doing wrong?!? : (
okay. so I saw the tutorials people have posted for the infinity dress and decided that I absolutely NEEDED one. however, I wanted to put a formal twist on it. so I bought 2 yards of this really pretty stretch knit that has a bit of a glimmer to it and went to town.
I basically measured my underbust and my hips because what I ended up doing is creating a tube skirt for under the straps. [error: of course, I cut against the stretch, not with it, so it's really really clingy. maybe this isn't such a big error... ] then I cut the straps [45" or so long, and even thinking about it I may cut them shorter] and attached them to the top of the dress. I hemmed one side of each strap to make it look more "glam" and I hemmed the bottom with a dec. stitch, too. the dress is a really pretty royal blue, and the thread I used is a silk gold.
so without further ado.... the pictures!
the dress long
me modeling the obscenely long straps and not sure what to do with them!!
I tried a tube dress....
and a neat little criss cross in the back [I think I like this one better]
detail on the straps and the dress coming together
hope you guys enjoy it!!!!! pleaseeee criticisms are good
so i posted about the pile of flesh about a week or so ago, and i put it all together in the last day and a half...
its laying on my sister's bed, excuse the... excessive amount of stuffed animals. [the sewing machine is actually *hers*, although i use it more than she does, and it's set up in her room]
the closeup of the blocks i used - turtle and plain white/blue
corner of the fleece-y background and the music note border
here you can see the fleece-y back against the front.
it's not quilted yet, because i'm taking a break after working for most of the day yesterday and half of the day today. the whole front came together really well. the strips for the border were really annoying because i couldn't cut them straight enough. i used fusible batting, which was new and i was really hoping it didn't screw it up. the backpiece, as per usual with me, was too small but some handy dandy hand sewing fixed it all up, and you can barely even tell.
i'll post more pictures when i actually quilt it.. taking a break for now! : )
okay so i have a minor problem.. ok maybe not minor
i was ironing my quilt top and the iron steams a bit and it left like orange-y marks on a couple white squares for my quilt top, and so i'm kind of freaking out because this quilt isn't for me..... anyway. does that kind of stuff come out with regular stain treatment? after i quilt it i'm going to be washing it because i used fusible batting, and it needs to not be so stiff as a quilt so... yeah... HELP!
so i'm working on my own pile of flesh for a quilt for a fundraiser raffle type of thing. it's really simple, no real big pile of flesh at all, just diagonal lines, but i think it's cute and simple and easy to do over break, since i only have 3 weeks to do it. the quilting pile of flesh, if i can get that far, is what's in black - so around all of the colored blocks, and then a treble clef in one corner with a bass clef in the other corner, and stars all in between. what do you guys think?
Hi all! My name is Jeni, and this is the first time I've been on this board. But I wanted to share my first quilt!! I did it over the summer. I'm a student so summer is really the only time I have to myself, minus my job! Anyway, I created the pile of flesh myself, and the corners are quilted whereas the middle is tied - I had a really hard time quilting on my machine because it's a typical machine. So I tied it. Either way, it looks okay. I missed a few seams here and there, which I've been fixing as I find them. So all together, this took about two months to do.. anyway! pictures!
I'm working on building the pile of flesh for my second quilt now, which is a LOT smaller. It's 4' by 4', and it's going to be regular blocks just in an overall pile of flesh. : ) Hope I can get it done over my winter break!