Here are the steps I followed:
The book was already coming apart anyway so I just helped it along by cutting the covers away from the two signatures that were inside.
I made up a simple design for the insides of the planner. I had to take it to Staples for photocopying since I wanted it to be on 11 X 17 size paper. I copied them double sided so that I could see the whole week on every page turn. I trimmed the pages down a bit at staples using their good quality trimmer.
I brought that all home and folded my signatures. I put four big sheets together for my signatures so that they each had eight pages. I made up enough for 60 weeks.
I didn't want to take the time to hand sew these signatures together so I just took them all to the sewing machine and zipped a line of basting stitch down the centre of each signature. Oh and I added a few random pages from the original kids book just for fun.
I put all the signatures into my clamps and dapped a bunch of glue all over the back spine. I added my ribbon and then a strip of that stiff meshy stuff. I let that all dry for a while.
I had to cut a new spine since the original one was a lot smaller than I needed.
I bound up the covers using the binding cloth and then glued the stack of signatures into the covers as you would for any handmade book.
I have another one drying right now and I will post pics of it tomorrow.
Thanks for your comments and interest...sarah