I made a new lampshade!
I have been hating two boring, shiny, tannish-whitish lampshades in my living room for several years now, one on a floor lamp and the other on a table lamp. I was planning to replace the blah floor lamp in the corner with a very long silk hanging lamp--gorgeous, but expensive and requiring unpleasant ceiling wiring. Then I thought to myself, I could make this corner fun and pretty without the money or electrical fuss, by upgrading my lamp with a zingy homemade lampshade. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures until the end so this is not a full-fledged tutorial, but I was proud of myself for figuring this all out and executing it nicely, so I want to share as much of the process as I can.
I started with a shade rather like this, only larger and a bit more complicated (this has only four sides, while the one I redid has eight: four large sides and four flattened corners, for lack of a better description--you'll see).
I ripped the shade off the metal frame. This was one of the worst parts of the whole process, as the factory had glue-gunned the heck out of the shade. It was infuriating and painful trying to rip the stupid thing off! Finally I tore it all off (with my patient husband's help), then I seam-ripped one of the four panels off to use as a pattern. I have no picture of the plain lampshade frame, but it was just a metal skeleton.
Using this pattern piece, I cut out four pieces of my fabric, then sewed those four pieces together side by side so that they were the shape of the original shade when it was ripped off and flattened (sorry I don't have a picture of that step). Finally I sewed the two remaining edges together, making the piece into a sort of skirt shape that I could then slip over the lampshade frame.
I slipped the shade over the frame and let it sit there unfinished and ragged for about two weeks, daunted by the hot glue gun, which I had never used before.
At last I took a deep breath and glued the fabric around the top to the metal frame, bit by bit, then glued the fabric to the bottom of the metal frame. I had to rip out a couple spots and try again until I had it nice and smooth.
I used scissors to trim the unsightly wide fabric edges on the inside so you wouldn't see their shadows with the light on, then carefully glue-gunned the new trimmed edges to the frame and pressed them down so they wouldn't show or fray.
Now I have a beautiful new lampshade!
And my corner is not blah anymore!
I had fun with this project (except for my trepidation about ruining the whole thing with the glue gun!) and I may very well tackle the other ugly shade sometime soon.
If you've read this whole long account, thank you for sticking with me. I hope you enjoyed it!!