Could you have made color copies of the comic pages and used those instead of cutting up your orginal artwork??
just a thought..
You absolutely could, and if you want to keep the comic in a single piece, I think you'd still get a great bag out of it. I happened to hate the story that got told in the comics as much as I loved the art, so I decided to bite the bullet and use the original pages.
This is probably going to sound familiar to some of you: I sat down to crochet a sweater, and it was going really well.
And then I ran out of yarn.
Not being one to fear change, I decided it was a vest. I thought I had a picture of it open, but I can't find it at the moment. So you get to see it buttoned up. Also, you get to see the pink hair I had for a few months. (Yes, it was a pain. Yes, it as awesome. Yes, I would have kept it up if I had a shower at my current place.)
From the front. The fit is a little off, but that's more noticeable when it's buttoned.
From the back. I think the fit looks much better from the back, but then, my back is flat. It makes a big difference.
I used a D-hook, a bunch of Sinfonia yarn. It's a lovely cotton sport weight. Shame it's kind of hard to find.
Back in September, my husband and I drove across the country to move for grad school. He did most of the driving, so I kept myself busy crocheting. By the end of it, I had a new skirt.
Pardon my epic bitchface; I do not self-photograph well. But you can see it! It hits a few inches above the knee, and the striping occurred naturally. I used Joann's Sensations bouchle and an I-hook. It's a slightly weighty skirt due to the worsted weight, so I added a couple of buttons.
I'm still working the kinks out of my button hole skills, and shortly after this picture, I took a needle and thread and sewed the button holes partly closed. I don't remember where I got those buttons, but I loved finding a reason to use them.
To end, have a close-up of the ruffle:
Being a fanciful little addition at the end of the project it, of course, took the longest freaking time. I'm very happy with it, however, so I forgive it for being a huge time eater.
A few quick notes:
--Worked from the waist down, with the second (top) button hole being added after I discovered the skirt hung uncomfortably low on my hips.
--Given the option, I probably wouldn't use this yarn for another skirt. It hangs a little loose, and I'm concerned it'll lose it's shape soon.
--It is super soft, and I pet it when I wear it. I offer no apologies.
Looks like you did an awesome job. I've been crocheting since I was 4...I'm 24 now...and I have never made an article of clothing for myself. Totally inspired to make a shrug type thingie now.
Shrugs are pretty easy. Basically, you make a rectangle that's wide enough to fit around the widest part of your arm. Then you seam it to the width of your shoulders. (If you have a 20" shoulder span and your rectangle is 31", you would seam five inches on each side to get five inch sleeves on each side with a 1" ease so you can actually move your shoulders once you get it on.)
I made this hooded shrug in July, in southwest Missouri, because I am slightly insane knew I was moving to a climate with lots of rain at the end of the summer. I used a Q-hook, Red Heart Light & Lofty, and I winged the whole thing.
(That's me trying to look "cool" or "hip" or whatever the word is.)
And now, from the back:
(With bonus ponytail action!)
The shoulder-to-shoulder section was done as a single rectangle. I then sewed the edges together to make armholes, then added the green sleeves, decreasing an inch every few rows to get a good arm fit. After the sleeves were finished, I made the red cuffs and attached them separately.
The hood is probably the most complicated part to explain, so please bear with me:
First, I crocheted a row of stitches from one armhole to the other. Second, I built on that first row and basically crocheted a giant square. Third, I kept throwing the shrug on and pulling the square up to see where it landed on my head. Fourth, once the square touched my forehead, I slip stitched the top edge of the square together and made it into a hood.
And lo and behold, a cute, warm shrug. I will say, I need to try the same basic idea with a non-fuzzy yarn. I'm still not certain, most times I wear it, if I'm wearing it inside out.
I got a Barnes and Noble Nook way back in February before the price was slashed, and a few months later, I sat down and finally crocheted it a cover, and a few months later, I'm finally posting it to Craftster! Yay!
I don't remember the name or brand of the yarn. I do know it's 100% cotton, light worsted weight, and was discontinued (as so many of my yarns are, it seems). The flat-out adorable buttons for my case are from Dill Buttons (dill-buttons.com), and you can get them at Hobby Lobby.
So, basically, I worked in the round and made this:
The fancy "action shot," if you will.
Buttoned up with the Nook inside. I still need to work on my last row not being weirdly curved when I do buttonholes.
And a close-up on the button, which I adore.
So far it's been a sturdy little monster. The yarn is a little too stretchy for the strap to be very useful, but as I'm usually throwing my Nook into a bag with other stuff it in anyway, the strap is moot.
I've got a poll on my blog to see if anyone wants a pattern or tutorial for it. I've got the notes I worked from, but I don't have anything formal that doesn't need to be deciphered from my weird notes.