I have a friend that is very much into the Inheritance Series of books (e.g., Eragon) and I decided to pick up the latest book for her for Christmas. At the book store, they were also selling Beanie Baby dragons in gold as a promotion. From that, I got the idea to make a gift basket.
Most of the items in the basket were bought at a sale or discounted price
- The 'basket' was a pretty wooden lidded box with roses painted on it that I picked up at Marshalls = $5
- I had purchased 2 copies of the book when it went on sale. In addition to the sale price, I had a coupon for 40% off so in the end, the 2nd copy of the book cost about $5
- My friend is also an avid crocheter and I thought it would be cool to find some gold yarn that the dragon could 'nest' on. At Big Lots, I found Moonlit Mohair for $1.50 per ball (normally about $4 per ball I think.) I bought all they had which came to 9 balls = $13.50
- Unfortunately, I did not pick up the dragon the day I bought the books. But I found a brand new one on eBay! = $10
- Gold bead Christmas Tree garland (dragon treasure) = $1
- Gold Coin Chocolates (more dragon treasure) = $6
- Bag of Lindt truffles to complete the basket = $2.50
- Shrink wrap, ribbon, ornaments = $4.50
The whole basket cost about $47 to make. Considering the book at full price is $27.50, and the yarn would have cost $36 if purchased in a craft or yarn shop, I think I did pretty good
Thanks for looking!