So, I was going to make my entire wedding bouquet from kanzashi. I got pretty close to finishing, but then I decided I really did want fresh flowers instead. So, I ended up with a ton of flowers that had nothing to do. I recently recovered the majority of my art supplies from my parent's house in Florida (though I still haven't been able to move everything up to my new home in Canada yet), and decided I'd better use these flowers for something.
I also had a set of variously shaped miniature cardboard boxes I'd bought years ago with the intention of decorating. So, I set about kanzashi-ing up the boxes.
Here's the first two I did, plus some progress pictures. I'll be making more soon.
Cheap craft acrylics are pretty thin, so I had to do several coats just for coverage (about 3). Also, the texture of the cardboard was slightly lumpy, so I did 3/4 more coats so I could sand the paint down to a smoother surface.
Here's how the box looked after painting.
I added a bit of pale aqua silk ribbon to the edge of the box top, just to give it a hint of contrast. I used bias cut silk habotai that I dyed myself and cut into squares for the flowers. The ribbon for the edging was the same type of ribbon.
Here's the finished piece.
And here's the oval shaped one I made next (no ribbon edging on this box top though).
There's a few more photos on my blog, but I feel like these are the best ones, haha.