After a hiatus from working with glass, I decided that I would make a Canada Day mosaic for a friend.
I started off by heading into the forest (conveniently located next to my apartment building) on 29 June for inspiration, and managed to find this:
(the leaf, not the glass. <smile>)
I then cut glass for the leaf motif and placed it like so:
A confession: there was no little bloodshed involved with this project, and I also managed to burn myself with my glue gun, having found out at the last minute that my trusty tile adhesive had dried up. But we Canajans are nothing if not ingenuous... and we like to suffer for our country as well (hence, sticking around during the horrendous winters).
After some more fooling around (and, let me admit, a bit more bloodshed), I ended up with this:
Well, spring has finally arrived here in Toronto (touch wood), and with it a lovely new lace shawl...
She's called April Showers. The pattern is a modification from part of the Hanami pattern by Melanie Gibbons (available here): http://pinklemontwist.blogspot.com/2007/02/hanami.html. I loved the "cherry blossom" portion of the pattern and thought it went well with this Fleece Artist Italian Silk I had kicking around in the stash.
Quack seems to like it too! Must be the Rainforest colourway... isn't it cheerful?
The "showers" part is formed by approximately 600 clear seed beads in addition to the "blossom" pattern in the knitting, which were placed with a crochet hook for the most part and strung on for the edging:
The raindrops in the main body appear mostly in the top two thirds - I wanted the effect of raindrops hanging in the air in the blue sky.
I had one skein of Rowan Kidsilk Night languishing, forlorn, in the stash, and decided to put it to use:
This is the Cumulus scarf, which I designed using the Porcupine stitch pattern in Barbara Walker's Second Treasury.
Can you see the little sparkles in the yarn? They are wonderful (although I don't know how well they show up in this photo). I used to hate mohair, but working with this lovely blend made me very happy, I can tell you.
I knitted the scarf using most of the skein. It was made for a coworker/friend of mine who is getting married next month. It's knitted on 3.75 mm needles and actually went quite quickly. The logic behind its naming was that, to me, it looks like a nice puffy cloud.
I just finished my second version of the Tuscany (that wonderful lace pattern by Amy Singer, found in No Sheep For You). The first one, done back last summer, looked like this:
A coworker has been eyeing it. She recently asked me to make her one. However, one wrinkle - the coworker is vegan and the original was made using silk. But never fear. Off we trotted together to the LYS and found some lovely soft bamboo (Rosarios Bio Bamboo). This was the end result:
I quite like it (although I must confess I'm rather partial to silk, myself).
It only took me about four days to knit it. The pattern is deceptively simple and good for beginners (as I was when I did my first one).
I only did ten repetitions of the 11-repetition pattern, though, as this yarn was of heavier gauge than the Silken.
That took just over two skeins of the bamboo, in case you want to make it. I used 4 mm needles.
I'm knitting so much lace these days that I can't really see the forest for the trees!
Well, I'm quite proud of myself because I stuck it out through my first mystery KAL, the Secret of the Stole II. Here is the result, which we just learned is called Savannah by its designer, Nautical Knitter.
I find the shape of it quite interesting, don't you?
And, I love the drape of the Malabrigo merino lace yarn! This colour is called Azul Profondo (deep blue):
I trespassed on someone's property to snap this photo (heh heh):
The stole was started on 22 January or thereabouts. Approximately 60-70 rows of the pattern were released once a week for nine weeks. I managed to finish on time (18 March or thereabouts) despite a very, very rocky start. Nautical Knitter was very supportive in this regard and acted as cheerleader. :-) I used 3.25mm Addi lace needles.
The pattern did not call for beads but I added some in anyway by stringing them on.
I seem to be on a roll with stormy projects lately for some reason... roll on spring, I guess!
This latest is the Storm Water scarf, made with Handmaiden Sea Silk (one skein - 400g). Run, don't walk, to buy some. I love it!
The pattern is by Ciobhar Fibre designs and came with the skein of Sea Silk that I bought. It is fairly simple, although I must confess it took me three starting attempts to get the pattern. I first started it in November 2007 at a conference... but the final attempt in mid February was the one which took hold.
However, patience has its virtues! (That's what I keep telling myself, anyway).
The scarf was knitted almost entirely in public - during my commute to work and at work meetings or CLEs. It is 66 inches long or thereabouts (taller than me!) and 10.5 inches wide. I used 3.75mm Addi lace turbo needles.
This is gorgeous! I'm so nervous about tackling lace, but its so tempting!
Please, please, please go for it. I only started knitting lace in August of 2007 - and I am by no means a genius! You'll know very soon whether you're into it or not... and I really feel it's worth the effort to try. (I could point you to some blog post of mine back in early 2007 where I said "I will NEVER EVER knit lace"... but I won't bother. I'm knitting lace now, almost obsessively.)
The trick is - learning to count your stitches every row to make sure everything is cool. It may sound onerous (and this coming from one of the laziest knitters possible) but it's worth a try for you. If you're not into it, it won't work... (viz. me and sock knitting... and you can check my blog sidebar under "Innocent Victims of Craftdaftness" to see the death of a sock needle... so many other people say socks are easy!!!!! agh!!) but it's worth the old college try, in my view.