When I was younger, I constantly wore wings out of the house. Faerie wings were my favorite and I actually became quite well known for wearing them (among other costume pieces) to school I haven't worn them for any reason in quite some time so I was extremely excited when I got to make them for this costume!
I used green powder over the entirety of my exposed skin which took quite some time as I had different shades for contouring. I didn't want to make myself look completely flat, especially on the contours of my face. Additionally, I had elf ears which were somewhat a pain because it turns out they are quite impossible to do the initial adhering by yourself. This is a two person job! Luckily I got some help last minute for which I was very grateful.
The costume was two separate dresses, the top layer made of a two-toned voile that I frayed around the edges. The under dress was made of green satin.
I decided I needed strapless wings so I opted to experiment with a version that I created to slide in between my bra band and centre back by way of a reinforced circle of metal wire. I was worried it might not stay in there but it didn't come out once. And I also had the ease of just plucking it out from my back when I was navigating through extremely busy areas.
The wings themselves were made of green tinted cellophane. After cutting out the wing shapes I wanted, I took two different gauges of wire and made veins running through them, using the largest pieces to adhere them to the circle base. Then, I ironed the top and bottom wing pieces together and to finish, repeated ironing with a textured piece of fabric on top so they would have a discreet pattern across them.