So, because I like to make life interesting for myself and closest friends and family I decided to throw a Harry Potter themed graduation party for my high school graduation. As corney as it sounds, Harry has stuck with me in both book and film since I was in second grade, so I figured that HP was an appropriate theme. I alreasy posted my invites (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=308964.msg3543694#msg3543694
) and now here's all the other stuff I made for my party:
1. Each guest was invited to wear a house pin and be 'sorted' as they entered. That way, people who ignored the "costumes highly recomended" on my invites still were dressed in HP gear. Each pin is about 1.5 inches and is just foam with a printed out crest and pin back on it.
I set up this sorting hat and cauldron filled with pins and the poem is a bit from book one's sorting poem with "To find out which house you're in, reach in the cauldron and take a pin"
2. I made these 2x3ft house banners out of felt (with some help from my friend) and hung them in my screen porch. I also made two mini-hogwarts banners but forgot to hang them up.
Hufflepuff Gryffendor Ravenclaw Slytherin
3. Each table under the tent was a house table (plus one staff table) which meant they each had plastic table clothes and mylar star balloons in house colors along with these dollar store candles. Each candle lid was painted black and I added extra crests from the pins and wrote traits around the bottom.
Each table also had a centerpiece chosen accordingly....
Staff Table: books and skull
Gryffendor: Quiddich ball chest (styrofoam and wooden chest)
Ravenclaw: books and ink (wooden book boxes, Standard Book of Spells Grade 12" and "Magical Me")
Hufflepuff: Goblet of Fire for Cedric (large hurricane glass spray painted silver with the champions' names flying out on wire)
Slytherin: Potions setup (cauldron and glass bottles)
"Ingrown Dragon's Toenails" (curved glass)
"Pickled Bicon Intestine" (curly yarn)
"Cornish Pixie Hair" (paintbrush bristles)
"Thestral Blood" (red paint)
"Pixie Dust" (glitter)
4. Also in the "Great Hall" tent, I put paper starts all over the ceiling and floating candles hanging around the edges.
drawing of the candles. Just a tube of paper with a fake tea light and fishing line.
5. My friend had this signpost left over from one of her parties so together we repainted in to be more HP appropriate. The owl on top is a stuffed one I borrowed from my library. Oh, and did I mention this thing was 6+ feet tall?
not pictured signs: King's Cross and Forbidden Forest.
6. Platform 9 3/4 was done by drawing bricks on a red plastic table cloth then cutting it up the middle and hanging it over my front door. Outside there were platform 9 and 10 signs and a sign that said King's Cross Station.
This hung inside the door.
7. Food! The dinner was normal muggle food, but for dessert I set up a little Honeydukes...
The cake was made by my mom, a quiddich field with pipe cleaner rings. The candy was as follows:
Fizzing Whizzbees (pop rocks)
Chocolate Frogs (handmade)
Licorice Wands (Twizzlers)
Lemon Drops (lemon heads)
Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans (Jelly Belly Jelly Beans)
Hope you enjoyed everything, most of this stuff I'm using again for my HP6 release party tomorrow. I really had a great time and got a ton of comments on everything. People really seemed to like that it was something different for a grad party, and I think it accuratly reflects my personality. Questions and comments are encouraged. Anyone who wants more info on any of the projects, don't hesitate to ask!!