For the past few years I've been making Christmas gifts for my friends. Two years ago they got scarves, last year they got hats. This year (2012, but we haven't exchanged yet), they're getting fingerless gloves! I used the Welted Fingerless Gloves pattern by Churchmouse. I made two pairs by following the pattern exactly as written, and one pair I made a bit larger. If I made a pair for myself, I'd have to go even bigger - the pattern is for a hand that's 6.5" around - mine's 8"!
Anyway, here are two of the pairs. There's another one identical to the purple/green/yellow one that isn't shown.
And a close-up of the welts, which make the pattern interesting. These pics are also truer to color.
I'm not a fan of cold. While it's only January, I'm already ready for it to be spring! In honor of spring, I spun up 1.2 ounces of roving that reminded me of spring flowers. It's 100% wool, averages sport weight, and 96 yards.
For Christmas my dad built me a wheel, and my parents gifted me with a bag of alpaca roving. On Christmas I spun up a 150 yard single, but then I had to stop (Christmas knitting to finish!).
This evening I decided to play some more. I spun up another single, and then spun them together to make a 2-ply. I ended up with 1.6 ounces, approx. 112 yards. It's decently consistent, but there are some places where I had some slubs.
Bad lighting, but here's a dime for size reference.
Knowing my love of color, I will probably end up dyeing this, I just don't know what color(s) I want yet.
Pretty much everyone at my local yarn shop is making (or has made) a Color Affection shawl this summer. I decided to join in the fad and bought a kit with 3 different purples. Lots of garter stitch later (and becoming quite tired of the color purple), I have my first finished shawl!
I recently finished the Make A Friend Swap. On my partner's questionnaire, I saw that they listed afghans as something they would like, but haven't had time to make for themselves. I immediately decided that I wanted to make her one. She listed pink/black/white as one of her favorite color combinations.
I made 30 squares, each approx. 12 x 12. I joined them during the last round, since I loathe sewing squares together.
Last week I had a craving for cupcakes, so I decided to try this recipe I found online. I think they came out okay, except that they were a little dense (I figure I probably mixed the batter too long). However, the icing was amazing, and if you took a big bite that included both cake and icing the result was yummy goodness.
I tried something I've never done before with these cupcakes - piping frosting!
Even an image of a weeping angel can lead to problems, so be careful looking at this post! I made this Weeping Angel for my partner in the One Tiny Doctor Who Thing swap. She's received, so I can post pictures! After looking at multiple versions of a crocheted Weeping Angel, I sketched out how I wanted mine to look, making sure that it would be under 4". A hook and some yarn, and here it is! She comes in just at 4" tall.
Her hands are attached to her face - she's guaranteed not to be able to attack!
The wings and the hair were the hardest parts!
From the side, plus it gives you more of an idea of the size.
Most of these were made last winter/spring for Project Linus, a charity that donates blankets to needy children. The last two were made recently for swaps. All pictures were taken on either a futon or double bed.
This one's my favorite, I think it looks like stained glass. It was a collaboration between myself and my mom. I made all the squares, and she was nice enough to sew them together for me (it's my absolute LEAST favorite part). It's about 4' square, and was made from the leftovers of a bright rainbow afghan I made for my sister.
This one was a lot of fun to make as well. I eventually want to make another for myself, but in different colors. The smaller pic shows truer colors.
This one reminds me of summer - strawberry ice cream and lemonade. It's 30" square.
A spring one, all green, orange, pink, and white. Also 30" square.
Pink and White, done in a very open pattern since I didn't have as much of this yarn. This one is 36" square.
And two Harry Potter inspired lapghans.
Slytherin, made for nisforneville in the Random Swap round 3.
Beauxbatons, made for caroleella in the Back to Hogwarts Swap.
This past weekend, the northeast US was snowed on! I made this hat on Saturday afternoon while it was snowing outside. The yarn is 100% merino wool, kettledyed in Uruguay. I bought it on Friday at my LYS, and I just couldn't wait to use it! The pattern I used is the Divine Hat by Rheatheylia, and can be found on her website.
and without flash
The true color is between the two pics, the lighting in my apartment isn't the greatest.
Lately I've found myself stalking the ATC boards, the ATC ongoing swaps, and having this urge to try to make my own. Tonight, I gave into that urge. I chose a theme off the first post in the July ongoing ATC swap (winter), and dug through my stash to find anything that said "winter" to me. I ended up using colored pencil, a snowflake stamp, rhinestones, seed beads, and fabric paint. I've never really done any paper crafting before, so my stash of those types of items is miniscule. Without further ado... "Snowflakes"
Not the best photo, but the lighting isn't the greatest at 9:00pm, and I can't find the cable for my scanner at the moment. Thanks for looking!
EDITED to add... I made another one! This one is a crochet base instead of a paper one, but it's still an ATC so I figured I'd add it here. The theme for this one was "cows." Again, I was impatient to post so I didn't wait for good lighting. With flash