My son's class is having a silent auction to raise money for their end of the year camping trip. I decided to make a baby quilt for the auction. This is the first time I've made a quilt to donate it was fun. Although the whole auction thing makes me kind of nervous. Like what if no-one bids on the quilt? Or what if it only raises $5. Maybe I should bid on my own quilt
Well without more chatter here's the quilt...
The whole quilt
A close up
And the back
I did a few things on this quilt I wouldn't normally do. First I used a solid color for the back. Usually I use a pattern. I think I like the patterns better because they hide mistakes in quilting better The second thing that I did that I don't normally do is that I made bias binding. Usually I just cut the binding on the straight grain. But with the roses it needed to be cut on the bias - I'm glad I did. I tried a method where you create a the bias binding by cutting out a big square and then cut it diagonally and sew it back together in the shape of a parallelogram and then you trace the width of your binding strips and sew it into a tube. Then you cut the tube out following the lines and ta-da you have one bias strip long enough to go around your whole quilt. I thought it was a cool method. Maybe this is the method everyone uses but it was the first time for me so I was impressed.