Let's start by admitting that I know this was an over-ambitious project. I'm not so sure that it really looks like a parrot in any identifiable way, the intentions and drawing were easier
and it seems to have all gotten away from me...but it was fun and he loves it which was the goal of this exercise. Suggestions on how I could have improved this are always welcome.
The red fabric is recycled! WOOHOO! I found red fleece ponchos at a sample store near my work, this outfit used 3 of them, one of the things I didn't take into account was that the fabric was so stretchy and a little heavy.
The blue and yellow are polyester, and the orange is a fake terry cloth feeling thing, and green is from a stiff cotton pillow case...pretty much everything was $1.
As you can see I've been lazy, and only attempted to really "feather" the back and hood, as a result the cape is much heavier than the rest of it. When I tried it on him (when done already) what USED to line up as shoulders stretched and fell on the back of his arm. OY. Tried to pull it forward but adding some front weight and another line of stitching on the shoulder to help prevent the feathers from flipping over didn't really seem to help.
Some in process building pics:
We made our sample on GI Joe in felt, that was great, boy (5) even sewed the hood on by himself.