My apologies for this long post, but I like it when people 'explain' their choices and difficulties during a project.
Hereby I proudly present, my own, homemade potholders / dishcloths.
I am not quite sure what the correct term should be in English / American.
They are supposed to be used to avoid your hands from getting burned when lifting hot things while cooking.
I used this pattern to figure out how to get the 'angle' in the design:
But mainly it is my own 'design'.
I choose to use three colours, so I could change colour in each row, without needing to 'carry the thread' along each row.
Also, it was the first time that I used 'borders' / edging.
I couldn't understand the instructions in the 'original' pattern, so I tried to find a more understandable (shell) pattern, but I adapted it a little. The original pattern called for skipping two stitches between two adjoining shells. I thought this made the shells too far apart, so I skipped only one.
What I would do different next time (long and rambling):
- Probably use thicker thread (though they are quite capable now, I think it looks nicer)
- In addition to that, use a larger hook. I now used a 3.5 hook, and towards the end, I found that the potholders didn't grow fast enough.
- Use a different 'way of working' for the border. I nowused the dark blue around all corners. Then did the shell-border at the low side, and then I had to start 'again' for the 'hook' on the top. Next time, I think it would be better to do the 'bottom' first, then do one side, then do the 'top' and finally do the last side.
However, if anyone has better ideas, I am all ears.
- Change colour after two rows instead of one (so the individual colours look better individually). If you look in close-up, you can see that no colour can really 'show; itself. I think that from a distance they would still look nice, but from close up they would look nicer.
Ah well, my mother-in-law was very happy with them , and they were put to good use during Christmas (so everyone could get a good look at them).