This is such a tiny project I almost
feel bad posting it... But it has completely changed my feelings about this piece of clothing!
I bought this dress at a street fair a few years ago, but never wore it much because the halter top was weird and slightly uncomfortable. Also, too much movement led to unfortunate amounts of boobage on display—
almost never a good thing.Oh no blurriness!
I got my mending done over the weekend and finally got around to fixing this poor, cute dress. It was the simplest thing ever: I took the halter off, cut it in half (it was one long strip of fabric, folded in half) and sewed it back on as two spaghetti straps, adding a few button-and-bead details along the way.
New and improved:Oh dirty bathroom mirror, you embarrass me so.
Honestly, the most difficult thing was making sure the straps were lined up correctly and the same length. But by using another dress as a guide and with careful use of a measuring tape, I got it right. No more untoward boob appearances! The strips were a bit long, so I left the extra dangling down in the back (not pictured) so I can lengthen or shorten the straps as need be. To pretty it up (and cover my stitches where I sewed the strap to the dress) I added a button and a bead on the front, and a sequin and a bead on the back:This shows the actual color of the dress better, too.
Along the bottom of the dress are a bunch of sequins in different colors. I didn't add them, but they're fun and sparkly and the reason I got it in the first place, so here they are anyway!
So now I have a dress that I'll actually WEAR—yunno, if it ever gets warm enough (grumble growl).
Thanks for looking!