I found this free pattern on line and decided to try it.http://fabricmutt.blogspot.com/2014/01/ellie-travel-case-tutorial.html
Here's what I came up with.
I made two bags for the Summer Games. The pattern was really good and clear. The zipper was a little tricky due to the thickness and the curves, just go slow and you'll be fine if you decide to attempt it. It was the first time I had done straps like this too. I pinned the edge of the fabric down until I had my needle firmly in it to keep it from unfolding.
To help it go faster I made them at the same time.
I got lots of help setting the zippers in. That's Venkman inspecting them. I call him quality control.
And here is a pic of getting the second side of the zipper. Sorry about the cat butt, he is always right next to me.
I don't recommend doing the zipper with the bit of linen showing. I did both ways and the one with the linen showing had a weird pucker to it.
Here's the first one I finished. I have had this abstract bird fabric in my stash forever and thought it would work well with this project.
The inside is a blue polka dot. I liked that the bird showed on top too.
For the second one I bought this fabric when I got the linen. I thought it was really pretty. A classy pretty instead of the normal flashier stuff I do.
Front & back.
The inside was a soft yellow-ish beige with white polka dots.
These pics are just for size reference and to show off my beautiful Dahlia.
Thanks for checking them out!