A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,476
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

  Show Topics
Pages: [1]
1  CLOTHING / Clothing: Completed Projects: Reconstructed / I figured out my serger! T-Shirt Recon on: January 19, 2008 08:32:41 PM
This is pretty simple, but it's the first actual useable thing I've made with my new serger!  My mom gave me her old serger over the holidays (an old-ish Babylock) and I finally got up the nerve to try it out today!  After at least half an hour spent threading the damn thing (the manual wasn't kidding when it suggested having tweezers handy) and a couple more hours getting acclimated and adjusting tension & such, I got bored with making little hemmed squares and decided to just go for it.




(sorry about the weird angle in this one!)

The shirt's made from two cheap XL men's t-shirts I got from Hobby Lobby.  For the fitted top part, I chopped off the shirt about 2 inches below the armholes and saved the bottom for later.  I traced the outline of one of my favorite shirts over the top part to make it fitted - I cut off the arms and adjusted the sleeve holes and sleeves to be smaller.  Then sewed the sleeves back on & sewed up the side seams.  Next I took the leftover bottom of the shirt, gathered it at its top, and sewed it all together in the middle, and tada!  Cute shirt, and I used my serger to make something real.   Cheesy

It's really basic but I'm proud that I sat down and actually tried out the serger!  It could definitely use some sort of finishing touch, but I'm kinda stuck on what - there's lots of t-shirt fabric left and I've also got a decent button collection but nothing I'm coming up with feels quite right.  Any ideas for what I could do?
2  KNITTING / Knitting: Completed Projects / Anise (peacoat-style cardigan) from Rowan New Shapes on: January 08, 2008 09:04:46 PM
I am in love!!  This sweater was SO fast, simple yet still interesting, I managed to get the yarn on sale, and to top it off it turned out just the way I wanted  Cheesy

     

(click for bigger pics!)

Pattern:  Anise by Sarah Hatton from Rowan New Shapes
Yarn:  Rowan Big Wool in color 24

I would totally recommend this pattern to pretty much anyone.  It's the most instant-gratification sweater I've ever done - the toughest part was probably sewing on the snaps (the front buttons are just sewn on the panel, and behind the buttons are snaps which actually close up the front, eliminating the problem of big, gappy, wonky buttonholes). 

The Big Wool is really soft, and blocked beautifully right into the shape I wanted.  I will note that it definitely got bigger with blocking, so this is definitely a yarn you want to wash & test your swatch for!  I loved making this sweater and I will definitely be trying to find more discounted Big Wool so I can make more of the stuff from this book  Cheesy
3  CLOTHING / Clothing: Completed Projects: General / My Built by Wendy Shirt (Simplicity 3964) on: November 03, 2007 09:50:24 PM
I just finished my first real sewing project EVER!  (Well, not counting some pajama shorts from back in the seventh grade...)  It's the Built by Wendy diamond tunic top and I LOVE it!  Cheesy
Here it is:





...and the obligatory myspace photoalbum pic  Wink


(bigger/more pics at flickr if you click on them!)

I got the pattern in the 99 cent sale at JoAnn's last weekend, and the fabric is cheeeeeeap plain cotton/poly stuff from Walmart.  So all in all it cost me something around seven bucks!  I actually really like how it drapes!  It's kinda thin fabric - I think if it were thicker/nicer it would stick out even more on the front/sides.  I ended up going one size down from my measurements (I match up with a size 12, but made a mockup before the real thing - it actually didn't look bad, but there was definitely room to go down, so I did!) 

The one part that gave me trouble was sewing in the diamond inset - in my practice version I ignored the pattern directions and sewed each edge separately, because it's really fidgety to try to sew that whole shape on at once.  I decided to get all gung-ho and do exactly what the pattern said when I made the real thing, and... it definitely turned out better in my practice version.  But other than that mess-up it went very smoothly!

I'm so happy with how it came out, and really excited to sew more stuff  Cheesy  What do you think?
Pages: [1]


FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search



your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Ways to Wear a Maxi Skirt for Any Occasion
Kendall And Kylie Jenner Prefer Natural Makeup Over Kardashian Glam
7 New Ways to Wear Your Black Pencil Skirt
Our Top Picks From the Prabal Gurung For Target Collection
What to Wear for Super Bowl Sunday to Look Chic
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping




Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...






Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Copyright ©2003-2014, Craftster.org an Internet Brands company.