I have been waiting to get good pics to throw this up!
Now, I got em! http://star.walagata.com/w/kittymao/lepardswetr5.jpg
I apologize that I don't have an original pic. Just imagine a red hoodie, boys large, with a red screnprint mossimo logo on the front.
got it? Cool.
I decided to turn it into a zip up. It was a b*tch getting my arms and head through the holes after it shrank, so it sat away for a while.http://star.walagata.com/w/kittymao/lepardswetr6.jpg
One day, I went to walmart to find zebra print for a leather cuff I was making. I found snow leopard print instead. I settled, and had to buy a yard of it so they wouldn't make fun of me.
I decided, with the xtra fabric from the cuff, to resurrect the sweater. I had seen a girl with a red sweater with "dalmation" trim, and adored it, so that gave me the go-to to get it.http://star.walagata.com/w/kittymao/lepardswetr3.jpg
I started with cutting the center line for the zipper. The first dilemma- the overlapping of the hood ends. You know how it does- one side over the other. I let the front piece stay solid, and let the back one be clipped. I didn't worry about how it looked, i knew i was gonna add trim. I didn't use a ruler to cut the center line, I just cut. I'm one of the lucky ones- my line was pretty straight. I pinned the zipper closed and sewed it to one side. I then sewed it to the other. With more planning i could have made it disappear, but wasn't worried- i liked the contrast. I sewed the zipper on with X stitches- not the most secure stitching, but looked great in contrast. http://star.walagata.com/w/kittymao/lepardswetr4.jpg
The zipper was by far the hardest part. The attaching of the fur was super easy. Measure the hood length. measure the depth you'd like the fringe. The fur tended to fray, so I hemmed it. Then attached it to the hood on the hemline with a satin stitch, but doubling it (when i reached the end I went back, filling the gaps with string). I did the same with the sleeve cuffs.http://star.walagata.com/w/kittymao/lepardswetr1.jpg
I did find small, but insignifigant problems-
-the cuffs are no longer elastic- I can't slide them up.
-the sides come out too wide, i'm pondering taking some fabric out for a more flattering fit.
-It feels empty on the front- i was thinking skull stencils, but haven't decided.
The small gaps in the ends of the trim- kind of unsightly, but have run out of fabric. C'est la vie.
and that's it! I hope I've inspired and answered questions!