Hi, all! I've been wanting to make a shoulder cape for ages, but didn't get around to it until my brother gave me this old work shirt. I loved the plaid, and thought it had the potential to be a great little cape. It took some trial and error to bring the shirt to it's full potential, but I love how it turned out.
I have a new crafting love - decoupaged bangles! They are so quick and easy to make, and the final product always looks fantastic. I whipped up these four for a giveaway on my blog. One is made out handmade Japanese paper, the others are all recycled: two from Anthropologie catalogues and one from a vintage pattern envelope and instruction sheet. I'm really happy with how they came out!
If you'd like to make your own, I've posted a tutorial for these on my blog. I'd put it here, but there are a TON of pictures, so I thought I would spare the 56k users.
Wow, this is my first post to the embroidery board in a long time! I made this veil for a friend's October wedding. I embroidered the edge with a freehand design of loops and lazy-daises, with tiny (faux) pearls incorporated to match the bride's dress. This was my first time embroidering on tulle, and it took a lot of experimentation to figure out how to make it look best! I ended up working without a hoop - the tulle was just too fragile to stretch. There are a few places where the tension got a little off, but overall I was able to keep it pretty consistent. The strangest part, however, was working with a transparent material - I had to come up with a new personal technique, taking into account that both the front and the back of the stitches are always visible. It was a time consuming process, but overall I'm happy with the end result. More importantly, the bride loves it. I'm looking forward to seeing her come down the aisle in it!
Side view: in real life, the embroidery stands out more than it does in this photo:
Front and back view with flash, which shows the embroidery better:
I made these garters for a friend's October wedding. The "keep" garter is made out of lace from the bride's mother's wedding veil, satin ribbon, and a vintage mother-of-pearl button from my stash. The "toss" garter is Boston Red Sox themed and made from some Alexander Henry baseball fabric, a few bits of ribbon, and a Red Sox button purchased on Etsy. These garters were super quick and fun to make, and I love how they came out. More importantly, the bride loves them too!
I love turning sweaters into cardigans - In fact, I think it might be turning into an obsession. This is my latest transformation. I liked the sweater as a slightly oversized boyfriend style, but I love it as a romantic cardi edged in ecru eyelet. I predict that this will get a lot of use as the weather becomes chilly!
Wow, this is my first post in ages! My belt was inspired by an extremely expensive version I saw at J. Crew. I made the flower out of apple green taffeta, using the great tutorial from Blissed out Jo at http://jo2308.typepad.com/blissedoutknitting/2008/07/hand-made-flowe.html. Next, I simply simply stitched the flower on to a piece of wide grosgrain ribbon, cut to be just a bit shorter than my waist measurement. I added two narrow pieces of grosgrain for ties, and that was that! Crafting a fun accessory doesn't get much easier.
Recently, I was inspired to dive into my stash of vintage trims and make this little cuff. The construction is beyond simple - just some embroidered ribbon stiched to a piece of hem binding lace. The clasp is a loop of elastic and a vintage mother of pearl button. I love how this really showcases the trims - I'll definitely be making more of these in the future.
I'm giving this little cuff away on my blog this week, so if you like it, stop by and put your name in!
Thanks for the great tutorial! I love seeing everyone's different interpretations in these big threads. This is what I came up with. I embroidered some cute strappy shoes on the front, and gave the inside a punchy, electric blue lining.
I recently got an iPod Touch, and decided that it needed a great case to keep it safe. I never got around to getting a case for my old iPod, and after four years, it is in pretty bad shape. Needless to say, I didn't want the same thing to happen to the new version (plus, the Touch doesn't look like it could handle nearly as much abuse as the classic iPods). I looked at Etsy for cases, but couldn't find anything that looked secure enough or that I was sure wouldn't scratch the touch screen. So, as any crafter would do, I simply whipped up my own design!
This cozy is made out of six layers - linen on the outside (I used my machine to make the faux bois embroidery), then heavy interfacing, a layer of muslin, two layers of thin batting, and lens wipes for the lining. I used bias binding to keep all of the scratchy seams on the outside. My iPod seems quite comfortable in there, and very well protected!