Hi there! I have been lurking on here for a while now and have just begun the art of sewing, which has garnered a lot of questions and no one I know irl can help me, haha. So I am turning to you Craftsterians in the hopes I can get some help
I am trying to create a padded bag for my outrigger paddle, that would be a similar idea to this: http://tinyurl.com/3boz94o or this http://tinyurl.com/3v2m5ka
I have all my materials and the fabric store recommended padding with batting, which I have never used before, and have no clue how to sew with it. I have about a billions question so please bear with me!
1. Should I sew though the batting? If I do, will it come through the fabric and get tangled? (I am guessing it's fine but I don't want to take the chance as I have limited material for the cover.)
2. Do I need some sort of adhesive to anchor the batting while I am sewing or will pins be enough?
3. I am completely confused on how to sew this together. Should I:
a) Create two sides (i.e. two sets of cover/batting/lining) which I sew together separately first, then sew together after?
b) Sew all 6 pieces together at once (that would be super thick, right?)
4. Does the type of stitch matter (straight stich vs zig-zag)?
5. Should I be making the cover a bit wider and fold that over the batting and lining to cover it or does that matter?
If anyone can help me I would be super greatful. Thanks for your time!