I know it's been a while since this thread was last alive, but i'm getting to the point where i do need help... after much arguing, the comitee agreed that i'm a D-cup. you're all saying that the short rows make coachella too big/too indecent, though. should i follow the pattern for a B-cup and do only one set? i'm doing the size to fit a 40", but i'm doing it all in 4,5mm needles. after the first few rows, i just started knitting loose and reached the gauge without changing, so i went on. i'm doing front and back at the same time too, and i can tell already my coachella is going to be a roller...
you can't see it at all on that pic, but the yarn i'm using is scandalously shiny:
and the best part? i found it in my stash last night.
i'm working on a lace shawl, knit top down, with a top border in garter stitch 3 stitches wide only. and i just realized that 10 rows ago, i did a section of this border 1 inch long in stockinette instead of garter stitch. *facepalms*
i won't lie, the lace is not incredibly complex, but i am reaching the end of the first ball now, and i just measured it. the last row is 67 inches long. the mistake is before the lifeline, so i can't just frog it and start again. i'll have to undo stitch by stitch, if i decide to do that (because i'm stupid and i can't learn how to put stitches back on the needles if i remove them without a lifeline). the lace is all perfect, because i've been very careful about that, even spent one night undoing stitches like that for 3 hours to correct a mistake i found. someone please convince me that i can live with that booboo
i got this tape yarn to use as accent in a project but decided the colour wasn't right for that, so now i have 100 yards of shiny tape, and i don't know what to do with it. i know it's not enough for most things, and most small projects i can think of won't work for me. it's too hot here for scarves and mittens (and i've already made too many scarves for my friends who are going to travel/moved to cold places). i think the colour and the shine are too pretty to use for some toy, and i'm not a hat/headband kind of girl. and i can't try to make funky shiny (little) socks either because there are no DPNs to sell in the city. The dyelot is gone already, I only bought this one ball ages ago. the label says its gauge is 22st x 30 rows x 4 inches, on 4mm needles. So, am i wanting too much, and i'd be better off buying tape in other colours to make something stripey?
i'm saving for a bunch of things (a denise kit, some yarn, including lace yarn), but i just wanted to know if i could do anything with what i have available for now. i've been testing random patterns with the thread, but i just realized that i should have saved some of the swatches and tried to block, instead of frogging!
i've been searching and searching and even in the national websites that sell yarn i can't find any lace yarn. the only wool i've found anywhere is thick scratchy tapestry yarn, so all the choices i have are cotton or acrylic (and cotton not even in worsted weight). however, i have about 2000 yards of this:
it's cotton, really really thin. the ball is all squishy, it's really thin, and it's a very pale shade of pink, so i can easily dye it over. i've been playing with 4mm needles and i'm getting about 3cm for 9 stitches. so, is there anything else i must know about lace that makes this cotton thread unsuitable for that?
For a while now I've noticed that my borders were never smooth, either the first stitch or the last one in a row always looks like a little knot. I kept meaning to ask what I was doing wrong but I postponed till now, because now I have good pics of the screw up. Behold!
See, on the green stripe the first stitch of the first row disappeared totally (it's a knit row). It happens on all the blue rows too, but it's more visible on the pic when I change colours. Meanwhile, on the other border:
An extra something appears!! Is it magic? OMG, the mistery!
i finished mine. it's full of mistakes, as i had only done the first triangles before i travelled for christmas and i forgot to take the pattern with me. plus i hate the yarn, but it was good to learn and practice.
it took me a whole day, from swatching and doing the math, charting the hearts and actually doing it. it was my first time changing colours (i don't know if i can call that fair isle - i left a really messy wrong side), first time grafting and seaming. and i had to learn these techniques while i did them.
progress pic, but not the right color.. my mock rib looks a little different from the pics i've seen and the swatch i made in another yarn, but i'm crediting it to big using needles 2 sizes bigger than recomended for the yarn. i'm still pleased with how it's going.
i'm working on something big, but then i lost steam and decided i needed a small thing to have fun with. as i have no use for scarves, i decided to knit a thong instead i used a lacy stitch with 2 strands of acrilic thread and 4mm needles, but i crocheted the waistband, and used ribbon to make it adjustable.
this last pic shows the real colour (not that i like it that much, but it was what i had at home...