It's been a long time since I've posted anything here, so hopefully I'm doing it right
My first Halloween costume plan failed spectacularly, so 9 days before Halloween I decided that I would make a Max costume, and I would make it work! This is the 2nd thing I've ever made and actually worn out of the house (the first being an XXL man's hoodie reconned into a form fitting one for me, so this is my first from scratch), and I pretty much worked on this the whole time I wasn't at work. I learned so much, and it came out amazingly well for my skill level.
It's based off the movie costume, instead of the book.
I didn't take any progress shots since I was in such a rush, and I don't have very good pictures from my night out yet, but I just took some pictures today, including some explaining how I made it. If I get better pictures I'll add them
I wore the top 2 buttons undone most of the time:
Rawr. I didn't want to go with the fingerless gloves like the movie, because I figured that I would get tired of wearing them after about 30 seconds, so I just made longer arms with thumb holes
Couldn't resist a jumping pic: (and in the movie Max doesn't have feet, he just wears his black&white shoes)
And here it is buttoned up. This was pretty much the warmest costume ever, and we went dancing, so that wasn't really a good thing!
And here's a slightly blurry butt shot, so you can see the tail in action:
I honestly finished this less than an hour before leaving the house Halloween, so I didn't have time to clean up the mess in my sewing room until now.
I took some pictures of my ~pattern as I found them on the floor. I've never used a real pattern in my life, so I have no idea how to read one, and I figured I'd just have to modify/resize it anyways, so I just decided to make my own ~pattern.
So, I started with a bedsheet that I bought for $2 at a thrift store. Then I did some measurements and cut out 4 rectangles, roughly 6' long by maybe 1'? I'm not sure, but it was a quarter of the circumference of my body divided by 4, plus a bit of space for extra. Then I draped it over myself and did a lot of pinning and drawing, then took it off and did some sewing, and then I repeated the process many many times, until I had a big ugly blue body suit covered in red scrawls and a million stitches. As I said, I didn't take pictures as I actually made it, but here's the side that I didn't use for a pattern, slipped back onto my body.
So, after I felt that I had a good fit, I cut the pieces that I needed apart along the seams, and I ended up with this:
(there shouldn't be a piece cut out of the piece at the top right there, I just ran out of bedsheet, haha.
Here's a closeup of the back piece around the torso, you can see how many times I redrew and sewed it smaller
This project also marked my first trip to Fabricland! Thus far I've been reconning clothes, and buying stuff at thrift stoes, but oh wow. Fabricland is amazing, although I was totally overwhelmed! I had a super nice woman help me there, I explained to her what I needed, and although she wasn't familiar with Where the Wild Things Are, she did a great job of showing me where I should be looking, and how the pricing/whatnot works.
For the body of the suit I managed to find this weird polyester furry material.. I don't remember what they called it on the sign, and my receipt just calls it "cuddle luscious" That does describe it well though. In the movie his suit it white, but he gets it really dirty, so I thought it would look odd if I went for stark white. Well this material was a white fur with a brown backing, so as the material wrinkles the brown shows through. It actually ended up looking great, I though. AND it was on sale for $7/yd instead of $20!
for the darker tail I found some material in the fur section, it was $10/yd instead of $33, and it was perfect for what I wanted. Pretty realistic feeling and looking, it's grey with darker tips.
I found these cool looking buttons at Walmart:
and subsequently used the button hole foot on my sewing machine for the first time!
And for the whiskers I found some small gauge insulated wire in my garage:
I tied knots at the end of the wire and used my stitch ripper to wiggle a hole in the fur material from the inside of the hood, then pushed the wire through, and hand sewed the knot to the material, so they'd stay sticking out. I also put wire in the ears, as well as stuffed them lightly with some fabric scraps. The tail I stuffed with shredded foam, it was surprisingly not in the way the whole night, and it wasn't uncomfortable to sit on even.
Here's a picture of the suit not on:
The crown was made from a shoebox, I hotglued it together and spray painted it gold, then I put fur inside the crown, both because it would be more comfortable, and also because I knew it would be less likely to slip down when I wore it without the hood up.
I made the sceptre too, out of shoe box, a wooden dowel, hot glue and spray paint, but I lost it during the night (and by lost it I mean got tired of carrying it around so I left it on a table ). I did find a picture on facebook that had it in it though.
It was probably the best costume I've ever worn, even if none of my friends knew what I was. Most people had never heard of WtWTA but the half dozen people who recognized me and came up to me were SO excited! One girl wanted to be Max but couldn't pull it together in time, she even dragged me over to show her sister my costume.
Anyways, if you read all that then thanks! And I would love to hear some feedback <3