So it's like a hundred degrees in Northern California right now. And naturally I thought, what better time to make a winter coat? I do go to school in upstate NY, so it has a degree of functionality. Just.. not necessarily at the present time.
This project was barely premeditated. I just happened to have a surplus of batting and this washed out gray-blue cotton in my stash. It was very much a creative process, needless to say.
So I have yards and yards and yards of this sheer-ish red cotton. So this is one of a few applications (= there will be more red posts). Combined with red gingham, it's either the cutest thing on Fourth of July or something plates should be laid out on. I'm not sure yet.
The pattern is my own design. I just inherited a whole bunch of vintage patterns and notions from my Grandmother, so I was inspired by a vintage-y cuteness that would allow for such a picnic themed top.
The pleats in the front are my favorite. The actual bodice is lined so that you can't see the goods, but you can see how sheer the fabric is on the unlined sleeve.
Here it is with the yoke/collar up. It's sort of how I intended it to be - I was going to put a little red button at the top, but I like it a lot better how it naturally sort of folds over. It looks a little lopsided in the picture, but it's just a result of bad posture.
Made of some bargain fabric that looks sort of like stretchy linen? I don't know. But the color is fabulous. Pintucks in the front, gathering and pleats in the front and back. Short sleeves, boat-ish neckline. Pattern is my own.
I made jeans! Real ones! With denim and a pattern and stuff!
This was surprisingly a very painless experience. No seam-ripping or tension arguments with the sewing machine. Came together in just a few hours after the pattern pieces were all cut. Just haven't put on the belt loops. The pattern is the burdastyle Anita 6006. You can find it here: http://www.burdastyle.com/patterns/show/1760
It's hard to take a picture of your own butt. I love the pockets on these.
UPDATE So, I added belt loops and some darts. They fit like a dream now. I didn't say this before, but I had to do some resizing after cutting the pattern pieces. The darts really helped in the end. I don't know if my body is oddly shaped or something, but if you're going to try this pattern, you should expect to do some alteration.
The darts are really great for practical purposes. But for aesthetics, I extended them into the pockets, just to make it look like interesting seaming. I really like the way it turned out.
This was the dress I made in about 3 hours for my senior prom (a year ago.. pretty delayed posting, I know). I had planned for a long time, and knew basically what I would do as far as a pattern.. but when I realized, "Hey, prom is like.. this weekend," I finally got to sewing. It has a satin lining and this really beautiful sheer textured overlay. Gathered at the bust with a vintage button. Pretty successful I think.
I'm kind of upset that it's now too cold to wear this baby out. Totally cute, simple, knee-ish length dress. Brought to you by the ridiculously cheap Michael's T-shirt selection and my eventless Saturday afternoon. Pintucks, faux buttons. Somewhat unique boat(?) neckline. It's smocked at the waist, my first time trying it. It turned out okay, I guess. But it didn't really do anything for the style of the dress. So we have the tie/sash/thing. Anyway, I really like it. It was pretty easy too make, structurally. I'm not really sure if I remember the pattern, it just kind of came out of my brain. Anyway, here it is.
The details make this dress.
I'm tempted to shorten it to wear it as a shirt, if only to incorporate it into my winter wardrobe.
So, what do you think?
UPDATE// Yeah, so I did make it a shirt. I'm sorry for everyone that was rooting for the dress. I like it a lot better now.
V-neck short-sleeved cardigan. Re-sized from an XL Michael's shirt. Took off sleeves, took in sides, re-attached sleeves, added a little bit of pleating. The color is kind of a muted yellowy. I kinda wanna print something on it. But I like it as is, so if I ruined it, that would suck. This is something I could wear everyday.
Button holes suck a lot.
///Got around to a tutorial. Hope it makes enough sense. I'd love to see how other people's turn out.
Beware the curse of 10 posts....(sigh)...All links...
I made this partly to be functional, and partly because a unicorn would be about the coolest Halloween costume ever in the history of Halloween.
Made with 3 parts glitter, 2 parts intensive sewing labor, and 1 part magic.
It was difficult to photograph this... We've got mane, 'corn, and ears. Lots o' glitter, yarn, fabric scraps, and spiraled sheet metal (I'm in a sculpture class, I have easy access...if you were wondering).
If you can see through the crazy pattern, there are lined pockets and a separate zipper panel. It's very comfy, fits well. All the unicorn attributes are removable, so that I can wear it as a slightly more practical hoodie. But I might leave it on for a while because I love it.
I work at a cafe, and I have to wear aprons. So, I have developed this kind of cutesy apron... fetish, if you will. So then I was thinking how I could possibly incorporate them into my actual wardrobe.. because they're so effing adorable. And this is what I came up with.
It has an apron front, which I basically traced from an existing apron.
But a covered back, like a jumper/pinafore.
Aside from the criss-cross straps and little pleating in the back, it has tie closures on the sides and little side pockets. I'm not sure if you can tell from the pictures, but the print is sooo cool. But it unravels pretty easily, which made for a fun sewing experience... (a lot of anti-fray laquer was used)