A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away... I decided it would be a great idea to make our son's nursery Star Wars themed. Never mind the fact that there are very few Lucasfilm products aimed at the infant set! So I ended up making a lot of the things I had in mind. This being Craftster, I'll focus on the DIY goodies.
On the recliner is my R2D2 quilt, as well as a Boppy cover that I made.
The bunting on the wall behind the crib is made out of felt, and you can read more about how I repurposed the mobile in this Craftster post. I also made the crib skirt, which you can't see too well but isn't anything special.
The biggest DIY project in the room is the fiber optic starfield ceiling. I can't claim too much credit on this one -- I found the idea on Pinterest, but my husband executed 90% of it because I couldn't crawl around the attic in my delicate condition. Here is a video of it in action. I also made the roman shade, using fabric from Spoonflower.
In an ideal world, it would play the Imperial Death March or something, but it's limited to a traditional lullaby. (Lame.) The characters do make their own noises when you squeeze them, though, from Chewbacca's signature roar to R2D2's beeping and booping.
Hi blair83, the answer to your question is that I used both techniques, but mostly piecing. The only parts that are appliqued are the three circles on the gray top section, and the two black rounded squares in the blue section in the center. Everything else was done with traditional piecing. The blue strip on the right of the 'eye' is a little different, too. I sewed a thin rectangle together on three sides and then inserted it into the seam along the raw edge side. So that portion was sort of 'free' until I quilted the quilt when I was sure to tack it down. Too much math to have to figure it out the 'right' way... so I cheated a bit!
I'm so excited to have finished the first major project for our January baby's nursery: an R2D2 quilt! No pattern -- just made it up as I went along using lots of reference photos from the movies. All of the fabrics are from JoAnn's. Approx. 36" x 48".
My hubby didn't want anything for Valentine's Day... But then he sent me flowers at work. And gifted me some sweet fabric. I felt like a schmuck! So I really wanted to do a little nice something for him.
Enter... homemade Star Wars valentines for my jedi-wannabe hubby.
Dimensions: 72" x 96" (twin) Pattern: Natural Canasta Quilt from Oh, Fransson! Fabric: 11 prints from Anna Maria Horner's 'Innocent Crush' line, one Amy Butler print, and six solids Quilting: Free motion stipple
This is my second finished quilt of 2012, though admittedly it's a UFO from 2011... it was supposed to be a "good luck at college" present, but I had some serious problems with my sewing machine that caused lengthy delays in quilting. I'm so glad to have put the final stitch in this one!
Unfortunately, I was working on it until the very last minute and forgot to get final dimensions, but it's around 30" x 38". The fabrics are all from my scrap bin. The train cars are pieced, and the wheels and letters are appliqued on.
This is the second quilt of this kind that I've made -- this one was commissioned from the first one, completed in 2009, and is very similar in colorway. I'd love to make a girly version someday. I think pink with a circus theme would be so much fun! Maybe with some appliqued animals? But I digress...
We have been decorating our house for Halloween, and we were in need of something to one-up the guy down the street with awesome blinking eyes in his bushes. The bone wreath tutorial I had saved from last year turned out to be just the ticket.
The bones are from two "lawn skeletons.'" Basically, they're hollow plastic arms, legs, and a head that you poke into the ground to make it look like a skeleton is clawing its way out. The ones I bought were assembled at the joints with small screws, which were easy enough to remove.
Then I laid them out and glued it all together. Once I figured out the right glue to use -- high-temp hot glue -- it came together quickly. [I detailed my trials and tribulations with adhesives on my blog.] Add a fake black rose from the dollar store, and he's ready to spook trick or treaters!
I have made a lot of diaper cakes over the years, but this one was by far the most fun! Behold, the Wizarding World of Harry Potter diaper cake, for a baby girl. Not the girliest thing in the world, but I think it's pretty awesome!
Usually I use mostly store-bought items to decorate cakes, but after a bit of searching I determined that HP-themed baby gear pretty much doesn't exist. Bring on the crafting!
On the front of the cake there's a stuffed Hedwig (purchased), a felt baby-sized student hat, and golden snitch rattle. The rattle is also felt. I used a tutorial online to make a ball shape, then freehanded the wings.
At the bottom I included bibs embroidered with 'Witch in Training' and 'Muggle Born'. Used my mom's Husqvarna Viking embroidery machine and a free font called 'Harry P'.
You can't see them in the picture above, but I also included a set of four onesies on the middle tier. They started out as plain Jane white Carter's onesies. I dyed them each with Rit dye and then appliqued on each house's initial. H for Hufflepuff, S for Slytherin... etc.
The cake also included store bought flannel receiving blankets, little socks with dragons on them, and a whole lot of Huggies organic diapers (around 60). I added a ribbon on Hedwig's neck to dress her up a bit before wrapping the whole thing to be gifted. Hope the recipient likes it!!