finally finished this... design, pattern, sewing, studding and sanding all done by me. it's made out of a heavier denim (i had to wash it several times and sand it to get it as soft as i wanted) and is fully lined. i purchased the studs from studsandspikes.com
finished this skirt this morning. i wanted a bodycon bandage skirt with a zip in the middle, but i wanted a little challenge so i decided to eliminate the sideseams yet still retain the hip shaping. i succeeded -- all 7 strips are continuous all the way around.
and here's a rough idea of the pattern. left edge is on the fold.
Basing off the pattern I made from my grey skirt, I made this one, but with a 4cm shorter hem and a 1cm thicker waistband. With piping!
Also my face is blocked out because I just saw Feist in concert and I was beat. I literally finished hemming this 2 hours before, just so I could wear it.
Yeah so the piping was hell. The seam allowances were all wack because my zipper foot wasn't cooperating, so I had to bias tape the edges of the waistband inside, then blindstitch it down. I also started it off with a black invisible zipper, but as I was trying it on, the zipper got stuck and broke, so I had to rip it off. The metal zipper was the only one i had lying around, and I believe it was fate because it looks 10x better.
I made this blouse for my 2nd semester shirt project (design, draft, sew, everything) and the process drove me into a nervous breakdown etc. etc. so I don't love it like I should. But even though I finished it at the last minute (I'm talking about sewing in the buttons during a drafting lecture right before it was due) I somehow managed to scrape up an A- on it. I'm guessing my instructor was feeling really, really generous. The pants were made back when I was still in the 12th grade (last year haha), from a commercial pattern.
oh, and this is why it's "backwards":
The sleeves aren't perfect because I was having some ease sewing issues and I have to re-sew some buttons on so that the plackets will lie flatter, but other than that I'm pleased with it.
Ok, not really magic, but that caught your attention. Designed and made for my Drafting and Sewing II class. Everything is drafted and sewn by me. I'm not a true standard size 8 so it doesn't fit me perfectly, so just bear with me
The prototype was a hot mess (see below). The waist was originally extended 5 cm and the front did not have a yoke. There were also tons of fit issues, which I think magically ironed themselves out when I traced out the final pattern. The different thickness in denim might've also helped (the final is heavier).
Anyway, I'm quite pleased with it. I wish I was able to find thick-ish denim with at least a little bit of spandex, as these do not have stretch at all. I think the topstitching could be a little better (sometimes industrial machines do, in fact, fail) and the back and front crotch seams don't totally match up. I guess I'll find out how I really did when I hand it in on Thursday! :|
During Boxing Day, I bought an XXL women's tunic from Old Navy. I saw it on the hanger like this:
It was just begging to become a dress.
So I took it home and I put it on. The sleeves were gargantuuuuuuaaaaaaaan, but the drawstring (which was supposed to sit under the bust, but I'm not XXL so it sits on my waist) worked out alright, so I decided to take the sleeves off. The neckline gaped a lot too, since the last button ends below the bust, so I added a couple more buttons so that it closed up all the way. I also had to take several inches off the arm holes and put facings in.
In the end (and accessories added, etc. etc.), I ended up with this:
A cotton red polka-dotted dress with a babydoll cut. I used the bodice pattern from this dress, but shortened it to create an empire waist. I then added a cummerbund. The skirt has three tiny pleats at the hem and hidden pockets with a side invisible-zip.