Late last night, I decided I wanted to do something crafty and fun. I had been looking at block prints and linocuts earlier that day, and decided I wanted to do a simple little block print. I went upstairs and opened my drawer labeled "Printmaking" where I just so happen to have supplies to do such a thing. I decided to use the Utrecht Easy Cut stuff I had purchased years ago and never got around to using. I haven't done this since elementary school, so I was unsure of how the finished product would look.
From start to finish, it took me about an hour. Including searching all my sketchbooks to find the robot doodle I wanted to use for this project. I doodled him years ago, and tucked him away for safekeeping. I finally found him. Here he is:
Here I had transferred him to the EasyCut, and began cutting.
Here he is all finished. The EasyCut was a bit TOO easy to cut at times, and crumbled a lot. I ended up knocking off his little "signals" coming from his antenna with my hand while cutting another area. He lost his signal!
And here he is test printed on a piece of Bristol with some stamping ink. I do have block printing inks, but didn't want to get into that whole mess since it was already 12:30am and I was sleepy.
His finished size is about 2x4 inches.
I think the EasyCut is good for doing rougher looking work, and for practice, but for precision its not that great. It crumbles very easily while cutting, and its too easy to dig in deep. You need to use a very light hand, and even then you get crumbling. But its definitely good to use for cheap test blocks to see how your idea might look. While not perfect, I still think he's adorable, and will not go about stamping him onto things.