Okay, so every year there is a great effort to transform into muppets. My hubby and his bro have gone as Bunsen and Beaker, Gonzo and Pepe, and Gonzo and Sam the Eagle. They take blue furniture foam from Joann's sculpt it, and use fabric and fur along with other odds and ends such as foam balls to make them. This time, it's Statler and Waldorf, the critics. The heads and hands were made, and the suits and canes were from Goodwill. I usually go as a princess, but have to lend my sewing machine skills toward the building as well, so it's a group effort. Hope you like. This was taken as Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party.
Okay, this is about my fourth attempt to edit this and add the in process pictures so I hope it works.
I was asked a bit about the process so here goes.
First, the foam is cut in circles, stacked and glued together. Then, a basic head shape is carved out using an electric carving knife. It's also hollowed. It is then determined where the eyes, nose, etc go.
Next, extra bits are carved and added on and where the person's vision will be is determined.
Finally, it is covered in fabric with a glue gun, and a lot of swearing and burnt fingers. The nose, ears, etc are carved, covered in fabric, and glued on. The eyes and other pieces are made out of foam, felt, styrofoam balls, or nerf balls, whatever works.
Okay, so my aim was to make a dress similar to her dress she makes out of the curtains. I wanted it knee length, but it is too long. I think it turned out more Wendy Darling, than Giselle, but oh well. I'm pretty proud of it considering I have never really done something this difficult before, and I think it's still cute if not exactly what I wanted. I may wear it for Halloween and then morph it into something I can wear every day. I used McCalls 5444 as a basis, but did some altering, including changing the ties in the back to a zipper. Here's the front view
Detail of the fabric print, and lace that I used on the edges, and neckline. The fabric came from JoAnn's. The underskirt is ivory chiffon, as well as the bodice lining.
I hope you like it. Let me know what you think. I intend to make a shirt out of the leftover fabric. I have cut it out, but haven't begun to sew it yet.
Okay, I used to wrong fabric (couldn't find the right kind), and I'm pretty sure I made the head wrong. She looks pretty much like an alien with a huge back of her head without her hair. But, it's my first time making something like this, and I am sick. So, I think I did pretty well considering.
Oh, and I didn't add the tail, and I forgot the ears. I cut them out and sewed them. I just forgot them when I sewed the head together.
I found one ugly shirt from mom's thrift store that looks like something Grandma used to wear. However, it had cute Aristocats on it which I LOVE. So, I made a cute little Marie shaped pillow out of it. And since many pillows nowadays have pockets in them with stuffie toys, I made little Marie, Berlioz, and Toulouse toys out of the extra material. Plus, I cut the buttons off to use as markers with the games I have made for my second grade classroom. =)
Okay, I figured out I cannot just take a pattern without instructions and make something right. I couldn't figure out which order to do things and I never could figure out how to sew the ears in. They're just stuck in the little holes and I hope a pet doesn't pull them out. With that said, meet Snowflake:
My husband works at a church in the audio visual department. They are producing a children's TV show, and he is creating the puppets. I helped with the sewing and the glue (lots of glue ). =) Here is the finished product. His name is Turbo.
Here are a few in the process pictures:
His sister is soon to come. Instructions found in The Foam Book, guide to making polyfoam puppets.
My husband was making puppets and there was some extra felt. I couldn't let it go to waste, so I decided to make a kitty. I haven't really worked with felt before and I didn't have a pattern, but I think she turned out cute. Here she is in my hand.