Okay, a couple of people have asked to see the other costumes, so here they are.
This is Bunsen and Beaker. They were the first and were not made from the furniture foam. Beaker is a posting hole and Bunsen is really heavy dense foam. I made bits and pieces. I'm Belle in a homemade costume, but I actually did not make it which I usually do.
This is Pepe and Gonzo. Pepe is from a posting hole, and Gonzo is the furniture foam. I made the hands on both costumes, the feet for Pepe, and his arms and his jacket with the arms. The boys made the heads. That year, I also made Briar Rose and Snow White rags costumes which I posted a while ago.
Then, last year, Gonzo was recycled and Sam the Eagle was created. I had no hand in it because it was made in the middle of the night the night before and I was sleeping. Sam's head was hand made, and the costume and feet were store bought.
Sorry the pictures are little. Eventually, they want to make the band. My husband was also really into making puppets for a while. I posted one of them a while back. He's stopped doing that though because the project he was making it for fell through. I hope you like them.
Okay, so every year there is a great effort to transform into muppets. My hubby and his bro have gone as Bunsen and Beaker, Gonzo and Pepe, and Gonzo and Sam the Eagle. They take blue furniture foam from Joann's sculpt it, and use fabric and fur along with other odds and ends such as foam balls to make them. This time, it's Statler and Waldorf, the critics. The heads and hands were made, and the suits and canes were from Goodwill. I usually go as a princess, but have to lend my sewing machine skills toward the building as well, so it's a group effort. Hope you like. This was taken as Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party.
Okay, this is about my fourth attempt to edit this and add the in process pictures so I hope it works.
I was asked a bit about the process so here goes.
First, the foam is cut in circles, stacked and glued together. Then, a basic head shape is carved out using an electric carving knife. It's also hollowed. It is then determined where the eyes, nose, etc go.
Next, extra bits are carved and added on and where the person's vision will be is determined.
Finally, it is covered in fabric with a glue gun, and a lot of swearing and burnt fingers. The nose, ears, etc are carved, covered in fabric, and glued on. The eyes and other pieces are made out of foam, felt, styrofoam balls, or nerf balls, whatever works.
Okay, so my aim was to make a dress similar to her dress she makes out of the curtains. I wanted it knee length, but it is too long. I think it turned out more Wendy Darling, than Giselle, but oh well. I'm pretty proud of it considering I have never really done something this difficult before, and I think it's still cute if not exactly what I wanted. I may wear it for Halloween and then morph it into something I can wear every day. I used McCalls 5444 as a basis, but did some altering, including changing the ties in the back to a zipper. Here's the front view
Detail of the fabric print, and lace that I used on the edges, and neckline. The fabric came from JoAnn's. The underskirt is ivory chiffon, as well as the bodice lining.
I hope you like it. Let me know what you think. I intend to make a shirt out of the leftover fabric. I have cut it out, but haven't begun to sew it yet.
Okay, I'm about done with this swapping. I've done two so far, and both have gone wrong. My first one, my partner flaked and I never got so much as a thank you for all of my hard work. Thank goodness for the kindness of swap angels. This time, my partner sent me the wrong address and even though delivery confirmation says that it arrived, I guess her old apartments lost it. I feel so bad because I was really excited about this swap. I feel like it's my fault. Anyway, here is what I sent her.
She asked for a bag, so I painted a little cartoon manatee on a bag. Also included are a stuffed manatee I made, a photo and photo frame of one of the manatees at Sea World as well as background information on her, a bunch of magnets, some Sculpey animals, and a manatee squished penny from Sea World.
Here is a close of of the little animals, a Stellar's sea cow, a dugong, and a manatee.
Okay, I used to wrong fabric (couldn't find the right kind), and I'm pretty sure I made the head wrong. She looks pretty much like an alien with a huge back of her head without her hair. But, it's my first time making something like this, and I am sick. So, I think I did pretty well considering.
Oh, and I didn't add the tail, and I forgot the ears. I cut them out and sewed them. I just forgot them when I sewed the head together.