I was inspired by my hubby's ripped and tossed aside ACUs, and being a passionately soldier supporting Army wife, that's the direction I went! We're using Cat the poppet to model, I didn't have time with two kids and the husband underfoot to make a whole new poppet. The design is not 100% original, I based the corset off of craftewoman's pattern, just enlarged it slightly, made the front waist pointy and changed the way the back closes. All the ribbons are rescued from the ACU cinch ties, which is how the soldiers gather the pants into their boots. The scarf is a lace trim.
Since the very first poppet I saw, I knew I needed to make one. I put it off. And put it off some more. Finally in January I decided it was time to bite the bullet. The minute she had hair she told me her name was Bunny. She's not a bunny, but that is her name, it seems. Ok, I'll roll with it. Anyway, enough rambling, you don't want to hear about my messy ladder stitch (until I got to the neck), or my inability to make a decent fitting outfit for her. Meet Bunny!
I love love love this fabric, and knew I had to make something for my little girl with it. So I took Butterick 4277 (which I had originally bought for the pants pattern, which is great), got rid of all the embellishments on view A and added a hood which I drafted myself! I lined the hood with fleece, and made the bottom edge ruffled by doing the stretch and zig zag over the edge trick. I am really proud of myself, I think it looks fab, even if it is way big on her right now (just means it will fit through next winter, too!).
She will not stand still for me, or leave the hood up!
Her brother had to help me take pictures, so I'm including him since he was so very helpful.
I swear my husband is responsible for my silly pose in the second picture...
Pattern: Pixie Hat from Knit Wit by Amy R Singer
Yarn Used: Paton's Classic Wool Merino in Rosewood (I LOVE this stuff!).
Needles: Size 6 circulars for main hat and size 6 DPNs for i-cords.
This took less than a week to complete (all done last week), and would have been a one weekend project if I hadn't been chasing two toddlers in between rows! It was originally intended to be for my daughter to match some pants I knit her in the same yarn, but I cannot seem to shrink a pattern just by changing needle size. I ended up knitting the second size when I realized I was going to need to use something ridiculous like size 2 needles to shrink it to her size. I really don't feel like re-calculating the pattern, so I'll probably knit her a different kind of hat where I don't need a pattern (pattern-free projects make me happy, yay knitting as therapy!). Of course, she hates anything on her head, so it's not like I could get her to wear it, anyway.
I was commissioned to make a green and pink diaper tote bag with Tinkerbell if possible. Inspired by the Jordy bag and this tut by LauPre http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=186910.0 I made this bag, which is cotton outer, flannel inner, stabilized with cotton duck. Very easy to construct, I added a button and loop closure before mailing it. The button was a pink etched 'antique look' by LaMode.
I am so proud of these things! I started them last month, and this week decided I would finish them or bust, which left my hands rather cramped, lol. They're made from Peace Fleece 100% Wool in Latvian Lavander (which makes them usable as a diaper cover over cloth nappies!). The pattern is my own made by picking apart elements I liked from other patterns that worked well in some aspects but not others, and totally reworking gauge suggested by those patterns. The only thing I might do differently in the future is incorporate short rows into the backside so it doesn't pull down as much when she bends or sits.
Anyway, onto the fun part, PICTURES! This is all pre-blocking, I wanted to try them on too much to wait, hehe. Oh, and pardon the state of my living room, I was too busy knitting to clean yesterday.
And no, there is not orange dirt on her butt or any orange in the yarn, her diaper underneath has orange aliens on it and it's visible through the unblocked stitches.
Anyone know of a great pattern for toddler denims? My daughter is chunky and add that to cloth diapers, and most jeans don't fit properly, even if I size up or try unisex/boys jeans. The best fit in any jeans is sadly from Walmart, and I'm trying to minimize any shopping I do there. I can easily modify a pattern, but I kind of wanted one to work from. TIA!
First quilt! It's black, white and orange with black satin binding (store bought, not up to making my own binding just yet!) and white chenille backing. The chenille is so soft, but it's really prone to wrinkling and bunching while being quilted. Good thing it's the reverse and most people won't be looking at it. Some of the white threads from my first ripped out attempt at binding are still visible, but those should all come out with time.
This is laid on my coffee table, it's about a small crib size.
This last one shows more true colors and the patterns.
I love finding pretty fabric on sale! I saw this and knew it was destined to be a dress for my little girl. The pattern was my own free handed. Next time I'll make the neck larger and the shoulders a smidgen narrower. Overall, I think it came out pretty cute!
I don't know if you can see it, but this pic is supposed to show that the sleeves are tucked and gathered to puff a little bit.