I had this nasty old shed in my yard when I moved in and this spring I hit on the idea of turning it into a playhouse for my daughter. I don't have any before pictures, just imagine a dirty old brown shed, with salvaged wood nasty ole shelves on both long side and rusty nails sticking out everywhere for hanging things and everything was covered with cobwebs and dead flies (no mouse poop if you can believe it) - thing abandoned reclusive old man's storage shed and you might get an accurate picture. It was disgusting actually and I was really considereing having it demolished instead. But we didn't. I took out all the shelves had my dad come help me cut some wood panelling to make walls up to the part of the side where the roof starts, cleaned, swept, disinfected, de-nailed the whole place. Dad added some holes to put some windows in that we got at yardsales & the re-store. Painted the panelling white. Took a few old sheets & stapled them up to the ceiling (couldn't paint the ceiling, there were too many nails poking through from the shingles so we just covered the mess instead since it wasn't like my daughter was going to poke herself on anything) Ran out of staples twice doing that ceiling in ther sweaty hot summer afternoons, standing on a ladder upside down .... (rolls eyes, that ceiling was the absolute worst part to do). Anyways, wound up using two old hospital sheets and one flowered sheet from somewhere.
The couch/bed is made from an idea I saw somewhere on the web. Its made out of two pallettes or flats (guess it depends where you live what you call them) stacked up and then a big foam mattress (also salvaged & cleaned) and a fake-chenille blanket from the 2nd hand store (I say fake because its not real chenille, but one of those new looking things with strips of fluff sewed on in a pattern rather than layers of fabric cut into the chennile pattern - I love real chenille .. so time comsuming and tedious though). There was enough blanket leftover to make the bolster pillow.
The floor was covered with a leftover piece of used lino (my gramma saves everything) and since it only covered half the space we found an old piece of used carpet at my brothers place too.
The one wall has a 1/2 piece of chalkboard that came from the school when they closed it down a million years ago. Its just screwed onto the studs in the corners.
I think the total cost of the project was 25 bucks; one of the windows cost me five bucks and the paints for the flowers were a buck each, and the blanket was seven bucks. But I think it was worth it.
Looking in: the grey at the edges is actually some screen so the door can be left open.
CLoseup of the pallette couch.