I had this really ugly, orange granny shopper, and it was starting to break. I thought I'd make a new cover for it, because it's useful when I have to get lots of groceries or take bottles back (I don't have a car). Basically, I used the frame and bottom from the old one, and took apart the old fabric parts and used them as pattern pieces for the new one. Easy!
I had this dresser in my bathroom. Overall it wasn't too bad. It needed a fresh coat of white paint, and I thought it could use some character as well. All I did was paint the knobs and stencil the larger drawers. It makes a big difference!
Sorry about the poor lighting...my bathroom doesn't have a lot of natural light, and I'm not a talented photographer :/
The above is the finished version. I had this ugly Ikea office chair. It was looking shabby anyway, and it was really bland to begin with. It got a giant rip in it after a while. Nice office chairs are expensive, so I decided to revamp it!
I wanted to share this, because I love it to death and I'm really proud of it!
Basically, it's exactly as it sounds...a quilt made out of old t-shirts. I wanted to keep them, because of the memories, but most were too worn and stained to actually wear. This way, they live on! I used other old clothes to fill the spaces, and fusible interfacing to back the tees onto.
If anyone else wants to make one, I found it super helpful to use a rotary cutter. I got more precise blocks that way. I also found that it was easiest to make smaller blocks and strips, and then sew those together. That way, it looks random, but it was kind of easier to keep it together, if that makes sense.
I had a whole bunch of old t-shirts that were really old, stained/faded and kind of had that 'old t-shirt' smell. They weren't really in any condition to donate, and also I wanted to save the prints on some of them, since they also had a lot of memories. So I cut out the prints, and used the rest to make this! It's super easy...you just have to know how to crochet. You need a larger crochet hook, and you just cut the tees in to strips and pull them out to make a 'yarn'. I did a single crochet in an oval shape, but I think double or half double would work as well. The number of chains and rows depends on the shape you want your rug to be, and how big you want it to be. I think it's fairly easy to play around with. I'm a beginner crocheter and I did it, so I think it's not terribly hard!
A good alternative (that would also work well with non-stretchy fabrics) would be to make a braided rag rug....to do that, you just braid strips of fabric, then sew them into an oval. It was a project a lot of grandmothers did and I think it's due for a comeback! Think of all those fabric scraps that could get put to use!
Whenever I restrung my guitar, I'd always look at the old strings and think "there must be -something- I can make with those." I tried bending them but they're pretty hard to form into anything, because they're springy. I always saved them, only to throw them out after a while when they built up too much and I still hadn't found anything to do with them. But a few weeks ago, I got an idea for some bangle bracelets using wire to shape them, only I'd run out of wire. I remembered the guitar string idea and voila!
You'll need some light fabric (I used sari silk for the orange and turquoise ones, and a light cotton for the white/pink one), a guitar string (thicker ones work better), electrical tape and scissors/wire cutters.
I don't know about everyone else, but every time I go anywhere, I'm always struggling to grab together currency, passports (I'm dual so I have 2), transit cards and SIM cards (for places I go often) and all that jazz and it NEVER seems to be in the same place. To keep this from happening, I took a shoe box, an old map of Spain and Portugal, and made this quick, cute box to keep everything in one place!
So I got this for free, but they were kind of old and dingy, and had a crazy pic of the TV tower drawn on them (not really 'me'), I had painted the other ones black and put them in my kitchen, but there was one hanging one that I didn't know what to do with, so I made this! I turned it upside down, added some feet, gave it a paint job and used wrapping paper to cover the doors. Amazing what a screwdriver, craft paint and a bit of wrapping paper can do! I now keep it behind my sofa and throw odds and ends in there.
Here is what the finished one looks like:
And here was the before (well, I'd already painted the gold part before I thought to take a pic):