The scarf I just started crocheting after a long hiatus is much too wide. I didn't notice it was too wide until a good few rows into it. I had such a tedious experience getting the first couple rows done that i didn't want to restart it. Also, the yarn I'm using (3 strands total of faux fur, boucle, and cheap acrylic) doesn't allow for frogging it. So, I need ideas on what I can do with this incredibly soft slightly less than half a square piece. Somehow salvage it to make a scarf in a different method? Some other usable project? Thanks!
"Trashy" meets fancy in this corsage of crocheted flowers made from a trash bag and thin ribbon mounted on a rubberband chain.
I crocheted one daisy-style flower from a trash bag cut into a long strip and crocheted another one from thin light blue ribbon. I then took rubberbands, pulled them through each other to form a long doubled-stranded rubberband "string" and used that to chain a number of stitches (it brings a whole new meaning to "rubberband chain" ). Attached the flowers to the chain, tied it around my wrist, and voila, I was sporting my stylish corsage.
I just bought a compact digital camera and wanted a case that would fit it snugly as well as protect it from scratches and such. This case not only met those criteria, but was incredibly quick and easy to make (and I think it's pretty cute too )
uber-quick rainbow striped compact digital camera case from a SOCK!
I took an old toe sock that I had and widthwise, it fit my camera perfectly! I cut off the toe part and the top part of the sock, cutting off enough so the remainder was a couple of inches longer than my camera. I then flipped the sock tube inside out, hand-sewed one end shut, and then flipped it right-side out. I inserted the camera and cut off excess fabric opposite the sewn end so it lined up with the camera length (with extra on one side to make a small flap). And then, I put on a strip of sticky velcro and reinforced it through sewing. I also made a small cut in the 2 pieces of velcro so the camera cord can come through the slit when the flap is shut.
To get some sort of idea as to what the case looks on my camera, I had to resort to a strange and very blurry mirror camera shot
I followed the tutorial pretty closely, though I only used 2 colors of bugle beads instead of 4, which equates to only using 2 of the 4 nitrogenous bases. I used white and blue seed beads and light blue and blue bugle beads.
close-up (sorry it's so blurry, my camera has problems with close-ups)
clearer photo from farther away
action shot! (and a HUGE shot of my ear)
Yay for DNA!
*edit* I made another pair of DNA earrings for Hanau for the Earring Binge Swap
And I made a DNA necklace for Needlesandpins for the Biology Nerd Swap
One of my good friends is a huge Harry Potter fan (to the point of writing fan fiction). I made her a set of Harry Potter glass marble magnets and a matching Altoid tin to store them in.
I had a Harry Potter pull-off calendar (a page for each day that can be ripped off). I searched it for images of Harry, Ron, Hermione, etc where the heads would be decent candidates sizewise for glass marbles. I glued them on, attached magnet backings, and voila! Harry Potter magnets.
For the tin, I took an old Altoids tins and decoupaged on bits and pieces of another page from the pull-off calendar. That page had the Harry Potter logo and a blue background.
Last summer, I made this case for my Rio Nitrus mp3 player after not being able to find any good cases for it (since most of the cases out on the market are designed for iPods).
I used blue duct tape to make a duct tape sheet, put it around my player and sealed the back and bottom with more duct tape. I had to cut a bunch of holes in it to allow me to use my mp3 player without taking the case off (so for the power button, headphone jack on top, wheel for selecting songs, toggle for play/stop/pause). I lined each cut area with more duct tape. Since I use the toggle the most and it happens to be red, I lined that hole with red duct tape. I cut out a window for the screen and inserted clear plastic (actually a piece of clear sticky book cover folded over onto itself) and taped it in securely.
The mp3 player inserts from the top and the case has a blue duct tape flap with self-adhesive velcro underneath it, so the flap folds over at the top of the back of the plaer.
I've always loved Captain Planet, so I made this baseball tee last summer:
(hopefully the image will work...its on photobucket and since I don't have the original photo file accessible, I didn't use Craftster hosting)
The front of the tee is an iron-on transfer of Captain Planet and the five Planeteers & "The Power Is Yours!". The back has "PLANETEER" on it in iron-on fuzzy black letters as well as iron-on transfers of the planeteers' rings and of the Captain Planet lyrics (Earth! Fire! Wind! Water! Heart! By your powers combined, I am Captain Planet!, etc). The right sleeve has an iron-on transfer of Earth on it.
I'm a Planeteer, You can be one too, 'Cause saving the planet is the thing to do.... .....Gooooo Planet!