I have this thing for birthday cakes. I am determined to keep people guessing and make sure that the birthday boy or girl is thrilled beyond words. A friend of mine (who is an exterminator) asked for a rat cake. He wanted it red inside like the cake on Steel Magnolias. I had been playing around with a way to make blood ooze out of a cake when you cut it open, perfect timing, huh? Here is the result!
I made it with two Sara Lee Poundcakes because my air conditioning was broken and I was not about to turn the oven on. The legs and head are Rice Krispie Treats that I smushed together and molded into shape. The outside is covered in black frosting textured with the back of a fork, and all the pink is tinted fondant. Inside, I made a well in the bottom layer and lined it with frosting to keep the blood (dyed corn syrup) from soaking into the cake. I frosted the bottom of the top layer to keep the blood in it's place also.
I have tried this with regular cake, but it's too fragile to stand up to the blood. Pound cakes work best.
I finished this in one day! I'm so proud! It's my first attempt at circular intarsia, too. Notice I'm not showing the back It doesn't actually look this bumpy; it fits Hubby very nicely. He's snoring right now though so he's unable to model.
I've finished a quick granny square for a little boy born at 28 weeks. He's a little over two pounds, and the doctors still aren't sure when he'll come home, but I knew his mom would want something soft to hold. (She can't take him out of the incubator for too long because he looses body heat too quickly.)
That's a 15 inch ruler for scale. I still have to block it, too.
I used Caron's Baby Coordinates in Blue Bon Bon and White. The pattern is from Crochet Today's March/April issue. They had it assembled like a rectangle, but since he's so small, I thought a circle would cover him the best without adding too much extra blanket.
The cable motif is kind of hard to see with the textured yarn.
Hopefully, he'll be home soon to be snuggled up with his mommy!
I finished this blanket for one of Hubby's coworkers and actually remember to take pictures of it before I sent it on it's way! It's made with Caron's Simply Soft in red, black and white. The squares are half-double crochet with a single crochet border. The ladybugs are a disc with a half circle, stripe, and little black circles attached. I've joined the with slipstitch because I like the raised edges it makes. The Snuggle Bunny is a larger half-double square with a ball head and single crochet ears. I stuck another ladybug on the back so it's matches better with the blanket. She has a little black ruffle collar to cover the stitches attaching the head and body. I also hooked through both pieces for added stability. I don't want to traumatize a little one by having their lovey's head pop off! The pattern is mostly made up with some bits and pieces from other patterns I've found. No matter how many times I read up on how to make a flat disc, I still have to drag out the pattern to read it! Thanks for reading and any comments are always welcome!
It's been awhile, but I finally got some stuff done. This is one of those stuffs.
My supervisor asked me to make this, it's for my MIL (who also used to work with us). She ordered her a set of Scrabble tiles to play fast Scrabble with while she's recovering from a kidney transplant. Can you guess she's a Gator fan? The inside is lined with this bright orange slippery fabric that my mom has had laying around for years. I think its original purpose was to become a hunter's vest back when my 26 year old brother was 5. You wouldn't think that a bag that small was as difficult as it was. I had it all cut out and planned and then my sewing machine decided it wasn't going to do buttonholes. SO... I had to redo the top and rethink the ribbon tube thingy. Agh! It was a learning experience to say the least. Nothing big, but I felt bad because I haven't been posting much lately. I've been busy making things for other websites.
Not all of this bag is reconstructed, but the main part is, and even more is reclaimed from Grandma's stash.
I finished one more. It's a bag for my supervisor; she gave me the tea print to use. It's an old linen calendar from a few years back.
Finding fabric to match that gold was a killer! I have issues paying full price for fabric, so that didn't help either.
The blue fabric inside is actually pieced together from stash fabric that my grandma gave me. She'd be so proud- neither one of us throws anything away!
The linen calendar is still in one piece (in case she wants to take it off); she just needs to rip those stitches, and she'll have a plain bag! I tend to change my mind often, so the fact that it can change so easily makes me feel better. Comments/Suggestions are always welcome! Enjoy!
Hubby told me that a co-worker is expecting. I'm pretty sure he said it was a boy. I'm also pretty sure that he mentioned the mommy is eco-conscious. So I got me some fancy yarn! It's Bernat's Bamboo, and I strongly recommend you try it! It is so soft; it feels like cashmere. The only problem is it's hand wash only, and I made baby things with it. Oh well, it's her first.
I made the pattern up myself, and it's obviously not blocked. I HATE blocking, and it's a blanket- so who cares! The blanket was done in a half-double crochet lattice pattern with ten rows of lattice and one row of HDC alternating. The border is a shell stitch (or my version of it). The snuggle bunny (that's what I call them because that's what we call snuggly hugs in my house) is done with five rows of HDC lattice and one row of HDC alternating. It also has a shell stitch border, and the head and ears are single crochet with a much smaller hook. I couldn't tell you how many stitches I cast on; I'm bad about writing things down. Oh, the colors are water (blue) and linen (off white). Now I just hope it really is a boy!