My favorite author is Sarah Rees Brennan, who wrote The Demon's Lexicon
.) I highly recommend it. Any book that includes such phrases as "Of course, Nick was expected to get rid of the bodies" and "The pipe under the sink was leaking again. It wouldn't have been so bad, except that Nick kept his favorite sword under the sink" has to be amazing, and it is.
Anyway, she's theoretically coming to my area in October (which would be very exciting, since she's otherwise halfway around the world.) I wanted to do something cool for her, since she's very personable and easily excited by any fannish crafty things people make about her writing. So I decided to finally try stenciling, something I've been meaning to get into, but never really had the chance.
Of course, being a crazy perfectionist with eyes bigger than her head, I went nuts with complicated stencils. I even did a three-layer design on the front (did I mention this was my first stencil?)
I spent I don't know how many hours cutting out my stencils from freezer paper, using exacto knives. I literally had blisters on my fingers from the knives, I kid you not. I used only two bottles of fabric paint, red and white, both Tulip brand, mixing to get a pink midtone, on a black shirt. After I had already finished most of my shirt, I was poking around on craftster and discovered that Velveteen Tulip paint, which was what I got, is apparently designed to be a puffy paint that rises and bubbles when it's put under a steam iron. I panicked. Like a good little girl scout, I put on some of my red paint to scrap fabric and ironed it. Nothing. I put it in the dryer for extra checks. Nothing. Reassured that my paint was not going to pull some crazy yeast action on me, I kept painting and ironing.
Little did I know that my red paint was Matte, only my white was Velveteen. All of my testing was for naught. The shirt bubbled up and made hideous fluffy pockets that made the face of the boy I was painting look like he had a particularly bad case of hives. The skyline had a streak of bubbles reminiscent of some horrible steam-powered experiment going on in one of the skyscrapers. I was devastated.
Since I'd put so much time into it, I finished it, though. I tried to call Tulip to see if I could reverse the bubbling, but they haven't called me back. Big surprise. As a kind of last-ditch effort, I ironed more of the shirt to let the bubbling blend in with the rest of the puffs. It's still not what I wanted, but it at least is wearable now, if only just.
Anyway, here are the pictures.
A poster with the British cover (the American one is less pretty) and part of the stencil I made from it in Photoshop for the front of the shirt.
I like the back! The back didn't have fluffy, bubbly problems. I'm still pleased with how it came out.
I swear, I am never doing crazy fonts again. I'm sticking to Arial and sans serif fonts.
Ditto to this, though this was part of the actual logo, Sarah's name was a font I chose in my own stupidity.
The front with flash, which kind of hides the bubbling (kind of.)
The front without flash, which really doesn't. *cries*
A few sideways shots that let you really see how raised this paint is.
The paint, and a lesson to others who were as uninformed as I was:
Matte paint on the left - good. Velveteen paint on the right - bad. Hiss!
I think what makes me the most pissed off about this is that the bottle doesn't say ANYTHING about its puffing tendencies, which is (apparently) the point of the Velveteen paint. It's not advertised there at all, anywhere on the wrapper. I couldn't have possibly known about the paint from the false advertising.
Anyway, despite my new and deep distrust of Tulip's false advertising of products, I really love stenciling, and can't wait to do it again.
I'll just have to buy better paint.