If you haven't seen any of my other skeins
, let me explain the weird names.
I name all my skeins after birds!
Gah! I love this fiber! It's one of the few batts I've purchased and it was from a show here in Chicago. (DIY Trunk Show?) It was from Yarn Geek Fibers and it was 1.3 oz of faux cashmere, pulwarth (? is that a thing?
), firestar, and tussah silk. I spun it up keeping the colors of the batt together and then navajo plied so they'd stay together. It's 65 yards.
I got a new book, Spin Art by Jacey Boggs
. I like it! It shows lots of fun fancy stuff (and to me, anything beyond navajo plying is real fancy). So when I spun up this yarn, I figured I'd try to do some fancy stuff. I did two different bobbins full of the fiber (I don't remember what it was! Merino?) and then made the big skein which I think is about 72 yards. So I plied it and then every once in a while made "stack traps" where I put in some white fiber along the one ply and then went over it all crazy with the other ply. That's about a terrible description of the action.
Anyway, I had some left over when my bobbin got full so I tried supercoils!! They're kinda tricky but pretty fun. I don't quite know how to keep the base ply from overspinning because that definitely happened to me. I believe this is only 12 yards, with a bit of a bare patch hiding in there somewhere. Anyway, I thought I'd worked it out so that I wouldn't have any left over but I had a fair amount, so I just navajo plied the last bit. It's only 15 yards.
I loooove this one! It's so dang cute! It's from an art batt that lapoli
gave me a long time ago. I spun a single, then plied it with 3 threads on the green portion (green, purple and iridescent), and 2 on the purple portion (just the purple and iridescent - this is basically because I ran out of green at the exact switching point!), then on the purple I tied teeny-weeny ribbon bows using the fork method. I also did a couple of mini "stacks" with the threads, one of which which you can see in the second picture. I don't know what it was made of! I do know it was 1.4 oz and it's now about 79 yards.
I have one more done but I don't have pictures! Whoops.