This is another project that Jim and I did together this year. I am so happy when we actually plan on and work on projects together.
Anyways, I was inspired when I saw the project posted by CarlieJoe a few months ago. Jim made it from scrap wood in his shop and we had a number of bottles in stock, as his uncle had a wine making shop, so we often get gifted wine, and keep bottles to return to him.
Jim made the frames. I cleaned and etched the bottles. We did clear ones too, but they did not turn out as nice, so we did them all with the green bottles - the etching turned up much nicer on them. Then, when Jim as done putting the frames together, I wood burned the leaf motifs onto the backer.
So far, we have nine made - hopefully that is all we need. They are not quite finished yet - Jim is putting on the last coat of varnish on them now. Then I just have to fill the bottles with seed and cork them for gifting.
I made these pendents recently, from bamboo tiles. They are paper, ink, paint, decoupage medium, and resin.
After altering the bamboo tiles, I sealed them with a thin layer of glossy, jewelry grade resin, and when that cured, I used 24 gauge wire to wire the dangles. Some are Swarovski Elements that I had picked up over the years at different workshops. They add a bit of bling and movement.
I made a small batch of these recently, decoupaged star ornaments. I quite like how they looked, but they looked too barren to me as just stars. Then, as I was making a bunch of cards/tags for the holiday tag and card swap, I got the idea of combining them with die cut, painted, and glittered snowflakes. I love how they turned out.
I want to repurpose a doll/action figure - could I just go with sanding it to rough up the surface a bit, applying gesso, and then acrylic, or is there a better option. It will not be for a child to play with. It will likely be more for display - a gag gift for an adult (well, in physical age anyways) for Christmas...
I made these cards lately for SevsOnlyGirl for the random swap... I saw that she loved cats and this was actually something that was on my mind before then - the peeking cat images. I was going to make a canvas or art piece for a friend who loves black cats.
Stupid me though, I ended up making these for SevsOnlyGirl, and never did get around to making the canvas for the friend! So at some point, I will have to make new ones.
I did a series of cards using various stamped cat images with various card colours, various stamped and stenciled backgrounds and washi tape accents
I just love that image of the cat peeking over the edge. She almost looks exactly like my friend's cat from when I first met him - he had a black cat with brilliant eyes, named Scamper, and she used to peek over the table at us like that while we played D+D at his place - she was such a sweet, affectionate cat that loved to hang with us.
I have seen various cute woven stars from paper, but all the instructions I could find for the ones I really liked were in Cyrillic. So I tried to figure figure it out myself and I think I managed to this weekend. So these are the finished star structures, and I thought I would share in case anyone else wants to know. I am still figuring out how I want to decorate them, but I think several may be put together to make a front door decoration, and I will make more for this year's annual Christmas ornament. Once you get over the tedium of cutting and rolling the paper strips, the actual making of the stars goes very fast.
I took way too many pictures for each part of the process, but I won't post them all here, but basically you roll strips of paper into thin tubes. Glue some together to make longer tubes.
Then gently tease the dog by bopping him on the head with the tubes when he comes by to bug you to take him for another walk... yes, I traumatize my animals with my crafting...
Take some and fold them into a star shaped frame.
Weave around the frame.
Secure the end of the tube, and voila, a star is born! Or in this case, many stars...
I think my next step is to take the stars and spray paint them - I am thinking frosty metallic blues and silvers. But I can't do that until I pick up the paint, and DH clears off his current project from the workshop table - it's too rainy/windy/cold, and too many swirling leaves for me to do it outside now.
They are made from butterflies die cut from patterned leather attached to thin pieces of pretty blue suede. I attached butterflies to both ends. I riveted the butterflies to metal tabs that attached to jump rings so the butterflies could dangle nicely. I was going to use ribbon clamps, but could not find mine, and when I went to go buy them, they did not have any nice long ones.
Then I realized, why don't I just make them. so these are simple squares of copper I cut, sanded, and riveted to the ends of the suede ribbon. I thought it was a nice blank surface, so decided to stamp "read" on them. I goofed on one, and ended up changing it to "dear" so it ends up becoming "read, dear" on the two ends of the one bookmark.