Anyways, for this swap, I decided to make a pincushion or a needlebook... I was wiffle waffling on how and the theme, when I remembered I had done a mad hatter matchbox awhile back and maybe I could take that and convert it into a pin cushion.
So I did - I made the hat out of a TP roll and some some thicker card stock for the brim, with some tape, and many many layers of tissue so that it would be pretty stiff and firm. I mean MANY layers. I bent and formed it as I went along. I left the top off for the pin cushion part of it.
After I was happy with the shaping, I painted and decorated it. I went for a purply/black distressed look with some stampings for a bit of texture and interest. I was thinking of flocking or molding paste with a damask print, but it was not working out when I tried - too much curvature, too small a space.
After the outer layers of paint and ink dried, I added a felt top. I added some paint to make it match the sides more. Inside, I stuffed a layer of steel wool and batting. The steel wool to help sharpen the pins as they are used. I then added cardboard and tissue to the bottom to seal it in, and painted it to match. But I was not happy with how it looked then - it just didn't look right to me for some reason.
So in the end, I did add a matching matchbox to the base - it looks better with the hat on platform anyways, and now there is a small bit of storage beneath for pins, or bobbins, or what not. I thought about adding a bit of a pedestal or feet, but then thought that it may not stand up to having pins poked in and out regularly without being squished too much or toppling over. I decorated the hat with a bit of satin ribbon, a decorative brad, die cut leather feathers, and a bit of card decorated to look like the Mad Hatter's sale sign.
Oh yes, and I made a set of pins with the card suits to go with the hat.
I made this set of apple cards lately for gala_apples for the Use What You Have swap. I carved an apple stamp for her,which I posted about here, and decided that I had to make something with it an a bonus, before including them all in the package I sent her. I really liked how the apple stamp turned out and thought it would great with some water colours.
I cut out squares of water colour paper, and stamped the images on with black Versafine ink.
When the black ink dried, it was waterproof, and perfect for painting on with pearlescent water colour paint. I am kind of in love with pearlescent paint lately. You can't really see in the pictures, but they do have a nice little bit of shimmer to them.
I did a set of green and red apples. I think I made a dozen cards in total. They were really fun to do and it was quite therapeutic painting them.
I made them as a tall thin card, or a long horizontal card. They are about 3x6". I also inked the edges of the water colour paper after painting the apples, to add a bit more dimension to them.
I made one of these for the recent Use What You Have swap for gala_apples. I wanted to send her an apple stamp for her own paper crafting, to make personalized note cards or whatever she wanted. It ended up that I liked it so much that I made one for myself to keep too - just because I had so much fun making cards with them and colouring them in.
I made this set for the use what you have, stash busting swap, for gala_apples. We have swapped a few times in the past and I remembered that she liked plaid and argyle patterns. I was sitting on the bus one night listening to my ipod, and the thought came to my head about making an etched argyle pattern. I jotted how I would try to do it onto a napkin or a receipt, since I was on my way to work, and when I got home the next morning, started to work on it.
I made the etched band out of copper after drawing it out in Sharpie marker. I did a relatively long band so I could cut it out afterwards to the length I need, and maybe have a bit more to make something else with. I think it was about an inch or an inch and a half wide.
I made a leather cuff base from tanning leather that I textured with hammer, and coloured with leather dye and acrylics. I used an acrylic leather seal on it, and buffed it. Then I cut the etched piece down, curved it, and riveted it onto the leather piece. I used a simple snap closure on the leather cuff. I am very happy how it turned out - though my argyle is a little wonky.
I just found out that Terry Pratchett passed away yesterday. I knew it was inevitable - especially as he had stated that as his Alzheimers advances that he may choose to end his life rather than suffer the latter stages. But he apparently passed from natural causes at home.
I am deeply saddened - his Discworld series, and Good Omens could always make me laugh and I could (and do!) read them over and over again. They can always lift my spirits when I feel down.
I was wondering if anyone is interested in participating in/organizing a swap tribute to the late, great Terry Pratchett.