When it gets a bit cooler, I start sorting through my yarns for projects to keep me busy in the evenings. I love binge watching TV (current show: Star Trek Enterprise! Love Scott Bakula!!!) and knitting.
I have been learning how to do cables so most of my knitting have some sort of cable design to help me practice. I found this Foliage hat pattern that uses cables. It was very easy but a bit time-consuming; I enjoyed it a lot and will probably make this hat a few times for friends.
I used Debbie Bliss Rialto DK weight yarn in a sage green. It is great for stitch definition, but it is was very splitty. I used bamboo needles since my metal ones were in use on another project. The yarn kept sticking to them, so I finally switched them out to the metal and was able to finish much faster. I have not blocked it yet.
I had seen large quilts in this style and loved them, so I decided to make a much smaller version as a cushion cover. I am using the wonderful pictures that my partner took for this post.
It was like fitting a puzzle together, and I had to figure out how to quilt the batting on onto it. I decided that some hand embroidery would work the best...not exactly my strongest skill set, but I picked a fairly easy leaf, which seemed perfect for the fall colors!
It is so much fun to go back to memory lane to see all of the things we all made for swaps...there were a lot of favorites, but I had to pick only one!
A friend of mine, kbrison, sent me the most interesting checkerboard scarf pattern. I thought I would try it out to make a scarf and hat for another friend of mine as an early Christmas gift (I will be giving it to her in October...)...
Well, the pattern was challenging for me and I got impatient, so I switched to stripes...and then those got challenging for me, so I started just plain crochet...but of course, I had to make both halves match, so I had to reverse repeat the pattern I started...
I had some leftover LB Amazing yarn, so I thought I would see if I could follow a pattern. Thankfully, the designer was able to help me in her blog, because I got a bit confused at first. But once I got going, this was really a fun and interesting pattern! I love the texture and the look. I only had enough yarn to do two rounds instead of three, so this one is not as lush as the original. I think it still turned out fine! (with only a couple of mistakes! )
I have my eye on some yummy mohair to make another one for the winter and maybe for a few gifts.
A few years ago, a dear friend loves2experiment, gave me tons of yarns from her stash...she was moving! I have been slowly but surely using up this wonderful stash. There was a skein of bamboo yarn that was just so pretty, but since it was soft and did not have a lot of yardage, I was not sure what to do with it.
I started to knit a scarf, but the yarn is very splitty...finally found a very simple crochet stitch pattern, fans and feathers. I connected the scarf so that it would never slide off...it is also very slippery!
I really like it worn wrapped twice around to look like a cowl.
When I saw this post, I fell in love with the baby blanket! I knew I had a lot of partial skeins of yarn from other projects, mostly from crochet blankets, so I decided to give it a try. This is the largest thing I have ever knitted...I thought I would get bored, but the interesting color changes were fun!
Here is the original post with her free pattern link on her blog...
I generally do not have cotton yarn on hand, so I had to order some in order to make these...and now that I have made a couple, following some excellent patterns (one purchased and one free), I am so addicted! Basically, they are a fancy, colorful doily, sewn onto a hoop...easy peasy...and you can probably use just about any doily pattern, so I plan on rummaging through some vintage patterns to see what else I can make!
I used a bit larger hook, since the tiny hooks were hard using the spitty yarn...so I had to buy a bigger hoop than was called for in the pattern. Pretty easy to adapt to whatever size you want! I also learned a few new crochet techniques, including how to crochet into rows below, how to make crochet bobbles, and how to weave in as I crocheted...pretty good stuff!
I was paired with Averia in the Geezer Swap. One of the things on her questionnaire of things she would like to receive was a quilted art piece.
It just so happened that I was cleaning out a bunch of my mom's old books and magazines and came across an old crafting book of hers. Inside, there was this quilting pattern. It was written in Japanese, but the drawings were so good that I could figure out how to do it. I traced the patterns and then sized them for a standard USA pillow form, about 14 inches.
To be really honest, it was a tough pattern because of the sewn curves...I had to clip every 1/8 inch or so on each curved piece. I was so glad it came together nicely, despite the few times I had to start over and the massive amounts of cussing!
The white is linen and then I chose more modern fabrics to make the old pattern a bit fresher. The back is envelope style so that the cover can be removed for cleaning. I made the bias piping myself. The quilting was very basic, just following some of the curves and around the circle. I lined the inside to cover up the stitching and to make the cushion stronger as Averia has kids. I believe a family should enjoy the things in their home and that nothing should be so precious.
Here is Averia's picture of the pillow in her home, along side the one I knitted for her.