These two were made for Alwaysinmyroom in the Geezers Alive and Kicking swap. Their bodies are both fully needle felted, and their jackets (well, Enri's shell) are wet felt. Agatha also sports a black jumpsuit. She's jointed, so she can be posed a little bit.
Here's a look at what she looked like before i added her hair and put her arms and legs on.
I've been having mad cravings for cake or cookies or muffins lately, and seeing as my body detests grains of all kinds I was glad to see a post by The Paleo Mom on Facebook for a paleo version of the mug cakes you see all the time.
I adjusted the recipe just a tiny bit to my liking by adding just a pinch of baking soda (gluten and corn free, of course) omitting the nuts (why add more nuts when you're using almond flour? jmho) and chose to use maple syrup instead of honey. (the first 4 times... the 5th time I used honey, and it seemed to settle on the bottom a bit, making the bottom a weird texture... maybe I didn't stir it enough.) I've also learned that you need to be sure to use a larger mug... But it sure does kick those cake cravings right in the bum!
I've decided I love doing this. Not more then spinning yarn, but it does provide a rather satisfying break from that when my legs go numb.....
This first set is 100% 19 micron merino wool. I start with pre-felt, and roll or fold or scrunch the scarf before dyeing it. Sort of like willy nilly shibori. (vs. real shibori dyeing)
These two found new homes before they got the fancy photo shoot. But you can see the patterning on the black/grey/orange/red one was STUNNING.
These one's use the same technique, but they are 80% merino wool and 20% silk. The different pre-felt acted a bit differently then the 100% wool, leaving these ones way longer and skinnier. But still lovely.
I'm sure there will be more... I do have another 15 meters of the pre-felt to play with after all.... >.>
I have A LOT of undyed merino. 8 KG's to be honest. Or that is to say, I had 8kg's of undyed merino. Now I only have 4. Amazingly, it only took me an afternoon of intensive dyeing (between lunch and supper, and I still had supper on the table at a reasonable time!!) to do all this.
This one is kinda pretty. If you like green. I'm not a fan, but hey! some people are! Dye day by SpinHeartSpin, on Flickr
this yellow grey muddied. I know why, and I half expected it too, but maybe not so badly. Dye day by SpinHeartSpin, on Flickr
This was the last one I did. by that time, I was getting lazy, so I took my 2 remaing balls of wool, and pushed dye with a syringe into the centre, then soaked the out side with the other colour. Looks pretty neat! Dye day by SpinHeartSpin, on Flickr
We played with acid dyes! mixing up primary colours, and got the rainbow and a gradient of colours. the only colours I didn't get a picture of was the gradients done by taking the yarns out in timed intervals.
Well. Sure, It's only thursday. But the way I see it is that we've had plenty of Fibre Friday's on a Saturday, so why not a day early if only to make up for the flip flop of days previously?
Let's start with this one. This one is a glorious distraction from what I really should be doing right now. a big, bulky 4WPI 2 ply. Merino and silk.
This one, is what I needed a break from. cobweb weight silk. 60WPI, 2 ply. My hands still hurt from this one..
2 ply tussah. Not to sure on WPI or any of that jazz, but it needs to be finished. It's in tiny skeins because it was spun primarily for the dye day at Fibre week this year. I apparently spun way to much...
I'm not sure if i've shared this one, so forgive me if I did. These are samples that are "fail's". They are supposed to be a specific TPI, WPI and angle of twist. But they aren't. There's about 2oz here, which will eventually turn into a hat called 'In Pursuit of Perfection"