My boyfriend and I just bought our first house. The minute we put an offer on the house and it was accepted, I was instantly in nesting mode, combing through pinterest for all sorts of ideas for things we could do around the house, and of course things I could make to turn our new house into "our" house. One of the first projects I found was this great blog tutorial for making a rope rug
. Skip forward in time to us actually moving in...our lower level is where we primarily hang out now. It's a neat space that's tiled with some windows for natural light. The only problem is that on most days the floor is freezing! This is where the rug comes in. I decided it would be the perfect thing to make.
I tried to take progress pictures as the rug grew....and kept notes on how big it got compared to how much rope I was using.
This was the very beginning, it's so cute and dainty. I only had half a bundle of rope and this is where it ended...
Adding another bundle of rope...for reference, each bundle is 100 feet. I took this picture to show off the beauty of the rope all wrapped and ready to be sewn in all it's glory. *Sidenote: wrapping up hundreds after hundreds of feet of rope is not friendly on your wrists or fingers....it is a fantastic way to use up scraps though!
This next picture is after the next bundle of rope was added? The cutting mat next to it is one of those full sized ones that is 24" long I think just for relative reference.
Here's what my set up looks like after it got too big to keep sewing on the table like one would normally do. I did my utmost to sew flat and level but my rug still got wonky and the edges kept curling up no matter what I did (more about this later).
And I think this is about when I killed my sewing machine
Well not really. But I did learn that sewing too much in one sitting is a recipe for jamming up your machine (i.e. I guess the metal parts get too hot and then stick together or something? I don't know, the professionals had to fix this one for me). Live and learn (I'm guessing all you seasoned sewers out there knew this already - let's just say I've never sewn so much for so long...this project took a long time!).
Ok, got the machine back all spiffy and in good shape again. Back to sewing sewing sewing.. well only 15 minutes at a time, then letting the machine cool and take a break, etc. I was very paranoid about jamming up my machine again. $120 to get it fixed up once is more than enough, thank you!
And now it's done!
I will say that this is not how it looked fresh off the machine. After I was done with the sewing, it was kind of horribly lumpy and I was rather dispirited that I had spent all that time and energy (and money!) making a lumpy mess. But the blog advises to spritz and iron the rug if this happens...the ironing didn't do enough for me, so I literally rolled it up, and stuck it in the shower to give it a good soaking. Then I laid it as flat as I could get it on the floor (hey the carpet will dry!) and put some heavy flat things on top of it (a really cheap bookcase and the removable shelves) and after a day it's looking good!
Here's a standard fold up chair on top of it to give an idea of the size.
Now to the fun part. Numbers. I told you I kept track of how it grew...so here it is!
0.5 of a bundle of rope (approximately 50 feet).......15 inches
1.5 bundles......24.5 inches
2.5 bundles......31 inches
3.5 bundles......36.75 inches
4.5 bundles......41 inches
5.5 bundles......45 inches
6 bundles.........47.75 inches......the total size of the rug.
So to recap, this ended up being made up of approximately 600 feet of rope, making a rug 47.75 inches wide in diameter...I wish I could have kept going to make it even bigger but I seriously don't want to kill my machine again, and it is very very hard at this point to maneuver it through the machine smoothly. Still I am really happy with how it turned out and will love this rug for a long time
Oh also, at first I had though to do an ombre effect with the fabrics as I went and I am so so so so glad I didn't. While it would have been stunning if I could have pulled it off, it would have required so much specific colors of fabric in specific order that would have been way more effort than I would have cared to put in (beyond the effort I was already expending). Not to mention I love the bright rainbow colorful scrappy look of it. It's definitely my style
Here it is in its new home, on the tile.