I found a narrow slate, still with ye olde naile hole in it. The roof of the barn out back donated it.
I painted one of my daughter's favorite themes on it....birch trees... and fastened a rope lip along the outer edges and two handles for it to become a tea server. Decorated two mugs to go with it.
Every step of the way proved difficult (swear words abounded) so it was over 10 days late for her birthday. But she loved it!
Here is a straight-on pic of the art...
One side of the mugs
and the other
first cleaned thoroughly (slate) then did green background in acrylics. Trees were next layer and they were freehanded. Left bare edges all 'round because I was going to do one continuous black rope loop all around, with two areas of looping up/not glued, to be handles. The adhesive I so carefully researched (then went out and bought) boasted in teeeny tiiiny letters at the bottom "not to be used on polypropelene" which is what the rope was. Dang.
So I switch glues but it did not hold strongly enough to be used as a handle with hot cups of tea.
Looked all over creation for two antique handles that someone on my property had rescued for me months ago off an armoire. He knew I could use them in crafting. The last words I heard from him as I slinked away at the end of a three-hour search were "Now, where DID I put those things??!!"
So I went out and bought two handles (got the last white ones in the whole store) and glued them on. Adhesive said clearly it worked on stone and metal. Woo hoo, my problems were at an end! Until I picked it all up and one handle came off. I was busy ranting to a neighbor about it when he pointed out that the glue held just fine and that I should reconsider suing the Bulldog Cement company. He showed me that the slate, as old slates will do when they have fallen from a great height off the barn where they have been happily living for a century -or even at any point in their life whatsoever if they so choose-, had simply 'sloughed off' a layer of itself. Woooooooe is meeee!!
so, on to plan B or perhaps I should say plan Q at this time, drill tiny holes in the slate, dangerously near the edges I will point out (!!) and thread a sturdy stringythingy thru both slate and existing screw holes in the handles.
I drilled without breathing. Apparently that should be included on every set of drilling instructions on the internet, because it worked. I threaded the sturdy cord thru , tied it off, and glued the BaJingos out of it so it would not even consider coming undone.
If you have actually read all that info instead of just glancing at the enchanting photographs, you are entitled to a prize. simply enter your name on the back of a twenty dollar bill and mail it to me and you will receive your prize in ten to fourteen business years.
thanks for looking!!!