My church does a variety of skits & scenes throughout the year involving children as various Bible characters & critters. Last summer several of our old ones were damaged by mildew leaving us with a pitiful few that never seemed to fit the right animal on the kid who was capable of remembering lines. It was time for new stuff. Eight sheep, four cows, one donkey and one camel, phew! Total cost was roughly $125 in material for just the furry stuff. All the linings were from my stash (the sheep all have polka dot linings, the cows Mossy Oak Breakup).
Challenge #1: make them store-able: no wool, machine washable materials. CHECK
Challenge #2: Make them easy for the kids to put them on by themselves. CHECK
Challenge #3: make them so any kid can be the animal we need. CHECK
I achieved #2 and #3 by making them two pieces, a hood and a bib with a tail on it. Both pieces are all velcro closures. Even an adult with a small head can get these on. The pictures are from dress rehearsal, but some were wearing their matching tees/ jackets to complete the costume. The idea was to have each kid wear colors to go with the hoods & bibs.Patterns:
I started with Simplicity 9808. All I used is the basic hood shape. I changed the closures to velcro & made up ears and horns for the various animals. The bibs and tails were entirely my own design but I loosely based it on those nice painter bibs they sell for very small children.Camel and donkey hair:
I was pleased with this idea & it worked really well! I single crocheted a row the length I wanted, then did a second row of sc followed by a row of dc. I then zigzagged this strip onto the hood where I wanted it right across my base row of sc. After the hood was complete I cut bundles of 4-6 strands of yarn which I knotted tightly through each space made by the dc.